Help with sick Guppy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jjholup

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1. Type - male (I think; that's what store told me) guppy

2. Tank parameters - ammonia .25, nitrite and nitrates 0, PH 7.6

3. The tank is 16 gallons; I've had it for about 2 weeks.

4. Filtration - there is an internal filter that was sold with the tank as a set. Sorry I don't know the model #. It is Nat Geo brand

5. How many fish - 3 guppies

6. Water change - 30% water change yesterday; ammonia then was .25

7. How king have had fish - 1 week

8. Anything new to tank - no decorations. When I do the water change I use Prime and Stress Coat

9. What food - I feed Omega One Super Color flakes; have fed them this food from the beginning no changes

Okay, I bought 4 guppies about a week ago. Acclimated them for 45 minutes. All was okay for about 3 days until all 4 fish started "gasping" for air at surface. I bought an airstone. 3 fish then improved and were swimming all over and seemed fine. 1 died. Last night (so 6 days after getting fish), one started just hanging out at the bottom of the tank, not swimming much and didn't eat this morning. Now the other 2 have been really pestering him. He chases them away, then goes back to his "resting" spot.

I check the water daily, and am using established media from my cycled betta tank. No nitrites or nitrates yet, I do water changes as needed to keep ammonia at or below .25.

Help :(

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406992523.637923.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's most likely still the ammonia. Keep doing the changes- or add prime or something similar that makes ammonia and nitrite not toxic to the fish. It disrupts the cycle less instead of it taking longer

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Use Prime instead of changing water? I read also about using salt. Do you think that will help?

Live bearers do like salt but if it is ammonia poisoning it won't help.

I would probably do a small water change then test in an hour or so if they are still gasping. If they are add prime

Thanks. The others are really pestering him now, 1 in particular. He's biting at him. Should I go get a small tank to separate the sick one? I feel bad if he doesn't feel well and he's being attacked.

I would definitely pull him to the smaller tank. If he is sick/blah normal playing and pecking is usually fine but now could kill him

Thanks Angela for all the advice.

Thanks. The others are really pestering him now, 1 in particular. He's biting at him. Should I go get a small tank to separate the sick one? I feel bad if he doesn't feel well and he's being attacked.

Do you have a large Tupperware bowl?

Put him in there. Guppies don't need a heater.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah ^^ what they said. For a qt of a fish since it is temporary even if you have to do a large bowl or something do it :)

I went to the pet store and they recommended a mesh breeder box thingy that hangs on the side of the tank. So I got him that. At least he's not being pestered now. He's perked up since being moved to the box, but I'm sure it's just stress.

Hi, I am still new at this myself, but have allot of guppies and have had more than my fair share of problems with them ... With that being said I have a question; how long do you plan on keeping the 1 fish in the breeding net? as a temp fix i can understand this (being im a newbie too) but it seems like you need to find a long term fix. what other fish do you have or is it just the 4 guppies. you said you have 4 male guppies, is it possible that if you add a couple females maybe that will give the black sheep guppy a playmate... Again i have to say i am new and i dont know if this is a good suggestion and hope that the more advanced people will chime in and help you out..

Adding a couple female is a bad idea. If the ratio is like 3 male and 2 females the males will pick on the female. Ideal level is 3 females to every male. That being said are you 100% sure the one being picked on is male? If it turns out to be a female that's why it is getting picked on and adding 3-4 more females to join her would help.

Males have an extra fin and usually a bigger tail. The extra fin is really the best way to sex a guppy

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407110497.159609.jpg

I just googled that pic as it is a little hard to explain

Adding a couple female is a bad idea. If the ratio is like 3 male and 2 females the males will pick on the female. Ideal level is 3 females to every male. That being said are you 100% sure the one being picked on is male? If it turns out to be a female that's why it is getting picked on and adding 3-4 more females to join her would help.

Males have an extra fin and usually a bigger tail. The extra fin is really the best way to sex a guppy

View attachment 245527

I just googled that pic as it is a little hard to explain

Angela I am confused. are you saying its bad to have them do the 3:1 ratio or that he should be. the way this post is written it sounds like your saying no but given the ratio saying yes. I am not trying to question you, I am not following your suggestion..

You need more females than males. 3:1 female:male.

If he added the 2 females you suggested and he has 3 males 2:3 female:male the males will gang up on the female.

If it turns out the one that is being picked on is female then it leaves him at 1:2 females:male. Adding 4 or so would make it 5:2 which would be enough to help keep the males from picking on the females

Also like one of the other posters said you will eventually get babies if you mix males and females. It's just how they are. That said if you don't want the babies - circle of life leave them and most will get eaten if you don't supply the right stuff to make the tank fry friendly

Thank you all for the feedback. Angela - I am not 100% sure it's a male. I'm looking at it now and comparing to the pic you posted (thanks!) but I'm having a hard time telling. He (she) is holding the lower fins up against it's body so it's hard to tell. Plus it's in the breeder box so it's hard to get a clear view.

It is feeling better, I think, and is swimming around the little breeder box, no longer just staying in 1 spot at the bottom. The other 2 have been fighting with each other non stop. I let the "sick" one out of the box (since it seemed to be feeling better) and the other 2 ganged up on it immediately - they were both pecking at it like crazy. So I put it back in the breeder box.

Ugh. I don't know what to do. I don't want babies, but I can't have them living like this.

Well some lfs will take them back/trade. Maybe call the store you got it at and tell them you think it is female and see if they would trade her for a male??

Also if you can get some pics some of us might be able to tell? If not I say keep him/her seperated for a while and maybe it will stop clamping his/her fins as much?

ok. i suggested a couple to prevent over whelming. i have a female who just lost her fry this weekend because i was told the opposite of what the ratio are . i was told 3 male to 1 female. i have 9 male, and 2 female, just lost a female a few days ago (thanks to the slots in the filter her tail fin got stuck).. so today i went out and got 4 female and still need more now... GRRRRR I feel horrible she lost the fry, and a bit upset w/ the ones who told me the wrong ratio. poor girl was trying to get away and finally found a resting spot stayed there for 2 days... im glad you chimed in to help this person out

Back
Top Bottom