Help with sick pygmy cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtncrux

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new 10 gallon tank that has been up and running for 4 weeks. I started out with three male guppies, live plants (anacharis, and a moss ball). I used a bottle of tetra safe start and did a fish-in cycle.

The cycle went well. ammonia rose to a level that was barely detectable (0.25) for one week then went to 0. I never saw any nitrites or nitrates. I am using an API Master liquid test kit. I was puzzld by the fact that I never saw any nitrates, but I assume that with my low bioload the plants must be taking care of the nitrates. I also do weekly 25% water changes.

One week ago (tank was 3 weeks old) I added three pygmy cories. The cories seemed healthy enough at first, but I never saw them eat anything. They were active and would constantly forage for food and pick through the gravel, but they would swim right over any visible food.

I tried flakes, shrimp pellet, and bottom feeder tablets (broken into pieces) but I never saw any of them eating.

Over the past week the cories have become less and less active. I found one dead yesterday, and another one was swimming upside down and in serious distress. Today the two remaining fish are back to hiding and are not swimming upside down. They spend 95% of their time hiding or lying on the bottom and when the do swim they dart at high speed from one hiding place to another.

The guppies are fine, and show no signs of distress. The guppies have never paid any attention to the cories and are not chasing them or nipping at them,

Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate all test at 0ppm.

What could be killing my cories? Is there something else in the water I should check for other than ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Is the problem that they aren't eating because I bought too few fish? Would they have done OK if I had a school of 6 instead of three?

Can I assume that my tank is cycled even if I have not seen any nitrates? Is it true that live plants can keep nitrates at 0pmm?

When you test are you hitting the bottles against the counter? ESPECIALLY the Nitrite and NitRATE bottles. You have to bang the bottle on the counter upside down for atleast 3 minutes before testing. Then bang the heck out of the bottles during testing. I bang all my bottle on the counter for 5 minutes before doing each test. You should also be changing 50% each week, Cories are very sensitive to water parameters. Try bang the bottle and then testing. I bet you'll have different numbers. I did.

I would immediately do a 50% water change, swish your filter pad in used tank water. It sounds like your nitrite is high or nitrates.

I just took a water sample to my LFS and they came up with the same results. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate.

I also picked up some frozen baby brine shrimp to see if I can entice them to eat.

I had no luck with Pygmy Cories they were dropping like flies over time. Seemed like it was a water problem my KH was too high (according to LFS). I use a water softener but because it is an ion exchange the buffering capacity remains high as doe the pH.

The pygmy corys at our LFS are mostly wild caught and used to soft water with a lower KH. Have you tested GH or KH or pH? Also ask your local fish store if they are wild caught.

Good Luck! I took my remaining 3 (out of 11) back and got a different cory. :/

No, I haven't tested for water hardness. I will see if my LFS will test for that.

My ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all steady at 0ppm, but my pygmy cories continue to die. I started with 3, then added three more. Now two (out of the six) have died and one more is swimming upside down. The remaining 3 seem OK, but their energy level is a lot less than when I first introduced them so I think they are probably in decline too.

I actually ended up with 5 pygmy cories and one cory habrosus since the LFS netted it by mistake. The cory habrosus seems like the strongest and happiest of the bunch so maybe they are more tolerant of my water.

I also have three guppies and two amano shrimp and they seem as happy as could be.

I don't know whether the pygmies were wild caught or not, but I do know that the LFS has had them in their tanks for over 6 weeks and the fish at the store are happy and healthy.

I forgot to mention that even without testing I know that my water is hard. We always have calcium deposits on our shower tile.

I will pick up a GH/KH test kit after work today.

Assuming that my water is hard, what is the best way to soften it? (water softening pillow, peat moss, other??)

They may want live food at first also. My habrosus will eat frozen and flake now, but mine were QT before I bought them and already eating.

The WC are used to lower PH and softer water.
Indian Almond Leaves may help also. Check the Mart section here or Join the Planted Tank for free. I got mine from a member of that site.

Habrosus do seem more hardy. I lost 3 baby C hastatus that I was given.

No liquid GH/KH test kits at the pet store today, so I bought some API 5-in-1 test strips that have GH/KH on them. Looks like GH=30 and KH=80. PH=7.6,

What is the ideal range for a pygmy cory?

Two more fish have died so now I am down to 2 cories left (one pygmy and one C. Habrosus). The C Habrosus is doing great and has shown no signs of stress. Maybe I just need to find some more of those.

Should I attempt to adjust PH or hardness?

I'm not sure how those compare. The API kit I got at amazon. The readings for that test are based on how many drops of solution you use.

I eventually added a mixture of RODI water and tap and put equilibrium in. Thanks to our water softener our GH was 0.

Anything thing that you did to change pH may not be very stable but others can comment to that.

You may want to just keep an eye on them. If the Hasbrosus makes it 6 weeks then get more? Not sure. Mine dropped one by one over many weeks

I finally got an API GH/KH test kit.

GH 71ppm (4 drops of test solution until color chnage)
KH is 53ppm (3 drops)

If I am reading it correctly, then my water is not hard at all, and should be perfect.

The last two cories (one pygmy, one habrosus) are atill going strong.

One thing I forgot to mention. One of the cories that got sick dissapeared for 2 days. I found it under a rock, still alive but completely missing its tail. I euthenised it since I didn't think it was possible for the tail to re-grow.

The only other stock in the tank are 2 guppies, one endler, two amano shrimp and a small army of pond snails. I don't think any of those are fin nippers. Is the missing tail a clue to what killed off the rest of the cories, or just a case of another fish kicking it while it's down?

I think I will watch the C habrosus for a couple of weeks. If it is still OK then I will try to find some more of those and try again.

Back
Top Bottom