Hemorrhagic Septicemia Advise Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shmily

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 60 gallon tank with an aqueon quietflow 55/75 filter. I have had the tank for nearly two months with no problems. I do 25% water changes every week. I get my water tested at petsmart each week so I can add fish. Untill about a week ago my water was testing perfectly.
I have 5 Black Skirt and 3 Gold Skirt Tetras, 5 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 7 Black Kuhli Loaches, and 5 Julii Corydoras.

About two weeks ago, I purchased a Bleeding Heart that I beleive was already infected with Hemorrhagic Septicemia as it showed symptoms the very next day. I didn't know what was wrong with it at the time but it was acting sickly so I broght it back to the petsmart and they told me it had hemorrhagic septicemia. The woman at the store said it probably was an isolated case. They said I could exchange it and they would treat it in a seprate tank. She said my water was good, just my ph was a little high but still ok. They didn't have any Bleeding Hearts in stock so I got 3 Julii Corydoras.

Last week one of my Corys was missing. I was hoping he was just a really good hider but when I did my water change I found it dead wedged behind one of my heaters. I felt so bad. I wasn't sure if he died and then got stuck there or if he got stuck there and then cooked. I didn't think it was related to the same problem so I exchanged it and got 4 Corys to complete my school.

Yesterday another Cory died of hemorrhagic septicemia. I took it back to petsmart and told them how this is the second, possibly third, fish that had this in my tank and if I need to worry about all my fish getting it. The woman said that it is probably my water that is causing it. She said since I have well water that it probably has a lot of things in it that they cannot test for. She also said my PH is high. It is a PH of 8. It used to be around 7 -7.5.

Does anyone have any experience in this? I have soft well water but I have a filter system under my house for my tap water.

And why is my ph higher than before? I bought a piece of drift wood to help lower it. I am letting it soak for a few days before I put it in my tank though.

Would any of this have to do with my fish getting sick. Could it be just an outbreak at the petsmart? Should I worry about my other fish and medicate the whole tank? Any advise would be great! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom