Hi everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TF4726

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought an Aqua 40 tank for my daughter about 6 weeks ago and we have a selection of guppies and platys in there - with 1 danio!!

One of my platys looks ready to burst and I have put her into a floating 'birthing poo'! She seems a little stressed out by it though! :(

Two of our guppies also look much 'rounder' than when we got them - in fact one looks almost square!!!

The danio seems to like bullying the ladies in the tank!! Not sure if we should rehome him/her!?!?!

Any help or advice than anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated as we have very little experience in fish keeping.

Thanks

Tx :)

Welcome to AA, go out and get 5 more danios when you get the chance, as danios are schooling fish. But before adding fish, check out the link in my signature on fishless cycling, and be sure to get the API master kit to see where your parameters are.

Hi
Thanks for that! The tank has cycled - been taking the water down to local fish supplier each wkend - so thats all good. But have reached our fish capacity!! :-( so do you think I should rehome Danny Danio!?

TF4726 said:
Hi
Thanks for that! The tank has cycled - been taking the water down to local fish supplier each wkend - so thats all good. But have reached our fish capacity!! :-( so do you think I should rehome Danny Danio!?

Depends... Is this a 40 liter or a 40 gallon? If it's a 40 liter... None of those fish fit, and I'd work on an upgrade to a 80 liter. The fish do stay small, they're all very active, and need more room to swim. I'd still get the kit, and not trust the LFS... Mist of them really just want your $, and aren't above killing your fish. It's sad, but that's how it works.

Welcome to AA
As stated the danio should have some friends. But if this tank is a 40L and not a 40gal then you will be over stocked. But if you hvae a 40gal then you will not be. So getting 3-6 more will probably fix this problem

The tank is only a 28l! The LFS is really good and - sorry Lauren but they wouldn't just sell me stuff to kill my fish! In fact they refused to sell me anymore fish until the balance of the tank water was right! Neither would they sell me any fish when I first went in a said I only had a small fish bowl!! Looks like not all places are the same!

Think I might just return Danny to the LFS and then leave the rest of the happy bunch to carry on as they are - swimming happily! And wait to see if any babies appear!

Thanks for your help!
Tx

Ok, well you are REALLY overstocked. NONE of those fish belong in a tank that small! I strongly suggest you upgrade to a 80 liter or more, or return all your fish and get one Betta.

If your LFS let you fish-in cycle then they're not above killing your fish and aren't different than other LFS. The advice you've been given is correct. You should really consider looking for some more appropriate fish.

Such as.....? I was advised that you can have so many inches of fish per gallon of water. Is that not the case?

That is not a great rule to go by. I think it is better to use the amount of surface area is available in the tank instead. That is where the gas exchanges occur anyway.

You probably have about 288 sq in of surface area available in the that tank. Unless you have a lot of fish in there, you are not overcrowded yet. Depends on how many of each you have.

If you need more information on this method I can give it to you. I frequent the general and getting started freshwater forums.

Using any rule like that won't turn out well, surface area or gallons. There's a whole lot more to it than that.
Smaller tetras is the first thing that comes to mind, a school of ~6. You need to consider adult size when trying not to overstock your tank. You need to consider temperament/compatibility,activity,etc. level as well.

Using any rule like that won't turn out well, surface area or gallons. There's a whole lot more to it than that.
Smaller tetras is the first thing that comes to mind, a school of ~6. You need to consider adult size when trying not to overstock your tank. You need to consider temperament/compatibility and activity level as well.

I tend to agree. None of these rules are perfect. But this is the one I learned from reading Dr. Innes's books and it is the one he suggested aquarists use. I've never gone wrong following that advice yet. It takes into account how oxygen/CO2 exchange with the water occurs.

I've not heard of the rule you reference in particular, it might be accurate in that aspect. I'm not saying it's garbage (like I do about inch/gallon), but it underplays the importance of other factors that need to be researched as well, like the ones I mentioned. (Assuming there's not more to it to account aforementioned factors, but then it'd be a really long guideline ;))

I've not heard of the rule you reference in particular, it might be accurate in that aspect. I'm not saying it's garbage (like I do about inch/gallon), but it underplays the importance of other factors that need to be researched as well, like the ones I mentioned. (Assuming there's not more to it to account aforementioned factors, but then it'd be a really long guideline ;))

That's what Dr, Innes said. He said the rule wasn't perfect, but it was the best guide that we could use. He admitted that there are too many variables involved to get a perfect answer.

I'm trying to wade through some pretty complicated math lately in an attempt to try! Who knows, I might get lucky and actually come up with something?

Moved to the FW unhealthy fish forum. More people will see it there. BTW Welcome aboard.

Hey Ho!

Thank you for the advise.

I have to say that I'm surprised at how 'aggressive/negative' some people appear to be! I haven't said how many fish I have in my tank - yet some people have surmised already that my tank is overstocked. As I said I am new to this and have listened carefully to my LFS who have advised me every step of the way.

They didn't sell me the fish used to cycle my tank - I had bought them previously from another store (who incidentally sold me a molly as a variatus platy despite my querying its colours!!) - when I only had a bowl. The store I go to now wouldn't sell me any fish until I had a bigger tank with a filter and the water had cycled.

The fish I have now seem happy and healthy - Mr Danio isn't being aggressive - just probably a little annoying! So I'll see how they go.

The platy hasn't had any babies yet nor has the Guppy - I took her out of the floating tank as she appeared to be getting very stressed out!

Thanks again

Tx

Back
Top Bottom