Hiding Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myaqftime

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I'm a new member from Ohio and have problem I just am at a loss.

I have 6 angelfish in a 55 gallon tank. About a week ago, one of them started having swimming problems and I noticed a bulging stomach. The "guy" at the pet store said it was probably swim bladder disease and that there is no cure. Well, I just don't give up that easily. About a week or so prior, I added 3 new misc community fish--2 died within 2 days. So, I thought maybe there was something that my angels caught from the new fish and that since the "sick" one was one of the two oldest that it was just the first to show symptoms. So I started with the 25% water changes everyday for 5 days. His swimming just kept getting worse. After researching on this site and others, I found that it could be a number of things and so I started trying different things to "cure" my fish. Maybe it was constipated and that was affecting its swim bladder? He hadn't eaten for a few days already so I fed them a few squashed defrosted frozen peas. I also gave them some of their flaked food soaked in castor oil, as well as some frozen blood worms. At the same time I have been treating them with Maracyn Two. Then a few days ago my angelfish that was literally laying on its side on the bottom of the tank was now up and swimming around perfectly with the other fish. A miracle I thought.

Now, it is hiding in the plants "nose up" then comes out and swims around perfectly, then goes back into the plants for awhile. In the meantime, 4 others hover over the plants and the 5th angel has now started "hanging out" with the one hiding in the plants. Meanwhile, I've for the most part the other 4 are more active and a little more aggressive than usual, but for the most part they seem to hover over the ones that are hiding while one lone angel seems to keep to itself at the other side of the tank by the heater.

I can't tell if the hovering angels on the left side of the tank are keeping the lone angel to the right side of the tank, or if the lone angel on the right is keeping the others on the left side because whenever either tries to cross the halfway point, the other meets them in the middle and chases them back.

In fact the only one that seems to be allowed to swim in the whole tank is the one that comes out from hiding in the plants and swims around and then goes back to hiding--nose up. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?:banghead::banghead::banghead:

myaqftime said:
Hi,
I'm a new member from Ohio and have problem I just am at a loss.

I have 6 angelfish in a 55 gallon tank. About a week ago, one of them started having swimming problems and I noticed a bulging stomach. The "guy" at the pet store said it was probably swim bladder disease and that there is no cure. Well, I just don't give up that easily. About a week or so prior, I added 3 new misc community fish--2 died within 2 days. So, I thought maybe there was something that my angels caught from the new fish and that since the "sick" one was one of the two oldest that it was just the first to show symptoms. So I started with the 25% water changes everyday for 5 days. His swimming just kept getting worse. After researching on this site and others, I found that it could be a number of things and so I started trying different things to "cure" my fish. Maybe it was constipated and that was affecting its swim bladder? He hadn't eaten for a few days already so I fed them a few squashed defrosted frozen peas. I also gave them some of their flaked food soaked in castor oil, as well as some frozen blood worms. At the same time I have been treating them with Maracyn Two. Then a few days ago my angelfish that was literally laying on its side on the bottom of the tank was now up and swimming around perfectly with the other fish. A miracle I thought.

Now, it is hiding in the plants "nose up" then comes out and swims around perfectly, then goes back into the plants for awhile. In the meantime, 4 others hover over the plants and the 5th angel has now started "hanging out" with the one hiding in the plants. Meanwhile, I've for the most part the other 4 are more active and a little more aggressive than usual, but for the most part they seem to hover over the ones that are hiding while one lone angel seems to keep to itself at the other side of the tank by the heater.

I can't tell if the hovering angels on the left side of the tank are keeping the lone angel to the right side of the tank, or if the lone angel on the right is keeping the others on the left side because whenever either tries to cross the halfway point, the other meets them in the middle and chases them back.

In fact the only one that seems to be allowed to swim in the whole tank is the one that comes out from hiding in the plants and swims around and then goes back to hiding--nose up. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Looks like some are starting to pair off they will bully the ones that dont have pairs
How long have they been in there?

They have always been in pairs. That's how I got them--two at a time when they were babies. I got them two at a time about 6 months apart and the six of them have been together for quite a few years now. I'd say at least 4 or 5 years. That's why this new behavior is worrying me. I have to say that the two that are sticking together hiding are the two oldest and one of them is the one that still has a slightly swollen stomach, although it is swimming good and has been eating.

Back
Top Bottom