High Ammonia and Nitrites!! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lflores

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

Where to start...?
Four weeks ago, I got a new Clown Loach and 5 Neon Tetras for my 65 Gallon Tank. My aquarium was fully established, all the testings were completely normal. At the time I had

• 2 Marbled Mollys
  • 1 Molly
  • 1 Platty
  • 1 Red Tail Black Shark
  • 3 Bala Sharks
  • 1 Chinese Algae Eater
  • 1 Ghost Shrimp
  • 6 newborn Mollys
  • (then I got the Clown Loach, and 5 Neon Tetras)
When I got the Clown Loach and Neon Tetras, I spotted some white dots on the Clown Loach, which triggered and alarm on my head. I raised the temperature from 78 gradually to 88. I held the temperature at 89.4 for at least three or four days, then I started dropping after all the ick was gone. At the same time I was treating the tank with temperature, I used Ick Attack, by Kordon. Which is supposed to be a natural medicine against ick.

After the ick was gone, 3 Neon tetras died.
I tested for ammonia and nitrites and my readings were very high.

I have been doing big water changes, at least 50% each time, but I dont see them levels going down.

Yesterday I tested for ammonia and it read 2.0 ppm, I tested for nitrites and it read 0.25ppm.
Today I tested, and ammonia was normal, but my nitrites went up! They are in 2.0ppm!!!
I need help!
I have my newborn mollys in there. I am scared that any of my fish will die. I have had them all since the beginning!

Please Help Guys!
What can I Do?

Is it just that I ruined the biological filter with the medicine?

Should I just wait until it establishes itself?

:confused::(

Relax!!! Your experiencing a mini cycle and your already doing the right thing to handle it. Just continue to test frequently and do big wcs to keep toxins in check until your tank stabilizes. If your using Prime, it can be safely dosed up to 5x the standard dose to help limit the effects of toxins as well. Water changes though are the best thing as they physically remove toxins. Please ask if you have questions! :)

Are you sure?
I ran out of Prime by Seachem like three days ago.
I am just very worried. Bala Sharks are sensitive, I haven't seen any of them act weird, non of the fish in my tank are acting weird, but I am worried. I am a grandpa, my Mollys had babies and I am worried about them too!
How long does this last?

Can I guarantee that there will not be more problems? No, but if you continue with testing and lots of wcs, things should settle in about a week or so. I would pick up some more Prime (or Amquel plus) as soon as possible and make sure you are dosing to your tank size with each water change. A standard dose of Prime will detox 1ppm of ammonia/nitrite for about 24hrs. A double dose will detox 2ppm. Triple dose, 3ppm (and so on).

If you absolutely are not able to get ahold of some today, you can add very low dose of salt to help limit nitrite toxicity. About half a teaspoon per 10g of water. Just make sure you dissolve the salt in some conditioned water first.

What have you been using to condition your water if you ran out of Prime? Does your tap water contain any ammonia and/or nitrite?

Can I guarantee that there will not be more problems? No, but if you continue with testing and lots of wcs, things should settle in about a week or so. I would pick up some more Prime (or Amquel plus) as soon as possible and make sure you are dosing to your tank size with each water change. A standard dose of Prime will detox 1ppm of ammonia/nitrite for about 24hrs. A double dose will detox 2ppm. Triple dose, 3ppm (and so on).

If you absolutely are not able to get ahold of some today, you can add very low dose of salt to help limit nitrite toxicity. About half a teaspoon per 10g of water. Just make sure you dissolve the salt in some conditioned water first.

What have you been using to condition your water if you ran out of Prime? Does your tap water contain any ammonia and/or nitrite?
I use API Tap Water Conditioner. I just ran out of Prime like two or three days ago, but I always use it when I do water changes along with the Tap Water Conditioner.
I will keep doing regular water changes, I appreciate your help.
I didn't know about mini cycles at all. I am kind of a noob still. I have had them for long, but still don't know everything about fish.
I just worry about them, I want them to be happy :D

Is your test kit still fresh? Also keep in mind that prime and other water conditioners can mess with the water test also.

Just keep doing your wcs and you should b ok. Just be vigilant on monitoring your toxin levels :)

Are you sure?
I ran out of Prime by Seachem like three days ago.
I am just very worried. Bala Sharks are sensitive, I haven't seen any of them act weird, non of the fish in my tank are acting weird, but I am worried. I am a grandpa, my Mollys had babies and I am worried about them too!
How long does this last?

Yes Bala's are very sensitive to many things and usually can be the first indication that something can be wrong. As well, the do best in a minimum of 70 gal tanks and groups of three since they can reach over a foot in length.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+888+1177&pcatid=1177

Yeah, test kit expires on 2019.
I just bought some Prime :) hope it helps!\

I have also lately experienced mini cycles in ALL 5 of my tanks. Could be a combination of things.

. The bottles of Prime could be past their prime, smelled really funky so I ordered new bottles.

. Big shifts in the weather, from the 40's to the 90's. (don't have a/c going yet) Fast increases in temp mess up my tanks and cause a major algae bloom because the sun hits the tanks this time of year.

. Warm spring weather causes the city to add more chlorine to kill bacteria from run off water.

So
Expired Prime + increase temps + more chlorine in the city water = mini cycle

You are doing right by water changes. It's been 3 weeks and all mine except 1 have cycled. Sometimes if the ammonia or nitrites spike super high, I will dose 5 times the recommended Prime just to give the fish a break. It reduces the levels for 24 hours until I can do the next water change.

It's frustrating to have these setbacks but we have all been there. Sounds like you are doing everything right. :)

Hey!
The prime is supposed to smell like that! It is sulfur!! (kinda smells like fart)
I Used some prime and it neutralized ammonia and nitrites for a moment. At least it wont be harmful for my fish.
I will keep cycling!

Hey!
The prime is supposed to smell like that! It is sulfur!! (kinda smells like fart)
I Used some prime and it neutralized ammonia and nitrites for a moment. At least it wont be harmful for my fish.
I will keep cycling!

You using Prime that smells like farts? Lucky you!

My Prime has an order when added to chlorated waters, but no smell on it's own.

You using Prime that smells like farts? Lucky you!

My Prime has an order when added to chlorated waters, but no smell on it's own.
Yeah... It smells like fart!
If you don’t believe me, go take a smell at your prime hahah :)
It is a sulphur based solution

Yeah... It smells like fart!
If you don’t believe me, go take a smell at your prime hahah :)
It is a sulphur based solution

Eww, just smelled the new Prime bottle and it smells like rotten eggs! :-(
lol
Never took a whiff of the bottle before.
The old bottle is even worse.

Sometimes when I add prime to the water it gives of a stronger odor than other times. Not sure then what that is all about.

So just throwing this out there...

For whatever reason, I sometimes get high nitrite readings an freak out. I have figured out that if I immediately re-test when that happens, my nitrites are zero. I think that sometimes I don't get the lid for the tube rinsed well and it develops nitrites in it. I have been more careful lately about swishing the tube AND cap really well in tank water then test and haven't had a problem.

Eww, just smelled the new Prime bottle and it smells like rotten eggs! :-(
lol
Never took a whiff of the bottle before.
The old bottle is even worse.

Sometimes when I add prime to the water it gives of a stronger odor than other times. Not sure then what that is all about.
Hey sandy!
Just make sure that you shake the Prime vigorously before you use it. If you don’t you will leave the good stuff in the bottom. If you pay attention when you pour it in the tank, when you shake it you can actually see a different water consistency than when you don’t. It does smell a little funky, but it shouldn’t make your water smell bad. If it does, do you have an active carbon filter? How old is your active filter? Active carbon takes out the odours from your tank. Keep an eye on that!
Check that the old bottle is not expired. Prime is a great chemical for quick relief and maintenance. :D

Back
Top Bottom