High pH and possible fin rot... help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleykw

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10g cycled with one HOB filter and one internal filter with a heater set at 80-82F and an air stone.

Water parameters
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20-40ppm
pH 8

Stock
3 male platy
1 male guppy
1 ADF
2 ghost shrimp
few live plants (2 anubias nanas and 1 moss ball)

There are plenty of other fake plants and decor for them to hide.

My tank has been successful for a while and the fish and frog are happy and all eating just fine. It’s been running for about a year now. I just noticed that one of my platy’s tail is much shorter than the other two. I didn’t think much of it because it looked pretty uniform in shape until I took a much closer look today and noticed a tiny chunk missing at the end, and also a possible red streak (hard to tell because he is dark orange and his tail is almost red in color normally). I do not notice a white edge on his tail. I’m afraid it may be fin rot in its early stage, which I have never experienced, but I’m having difficulty differentiating between fin nipping. He is otherwise healthy. However, if it is truly fin rot, could it be due to my parameters? Is 8 too high of a pH for these fish? If so, how do I go about lowering the pH? All advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Hello ash...

The water chemistry in a small tank can change suddenly and this can stress fish. A fish under stress has a weaker immune system than a healthy fish. Small tanks under 30 gallons need half the water removed and replaced every 3 to 4 days to keep the dissolved nitrogen from the fish waste out the tank. High nitrogen and warmer water remove oxygen and this can also stress fish.

A 10 gallon tank is small, but you should be able to keep everything in it healthy if you gradually work up to the point you're changing out most of the water a couple of times a week.

B

8 ph is not too high for your fish. I raise gupppies, by the hundreds in 12 tanks, and my ph is 8.4 out of tap.
If your fish are weak and stressed from a long journey from farm, to wholesaler, to pet store, to your house, then the best thing to do is use stress coat and salt, as these both replenish the fishes slime coat. Keep the water cycled with good bacteria but not too much. Feed carefully 2-3 times a day, just a tiny pinch

My thought would be nipping. If you hadn't had any problems. (Depending on how long you've had them.) Having all males could be why. I've heard of guppies being nippers. But, I've never had them and every fish is not always the same. And platy's are suppose to do well with about any ph. Very hardy. I'd just keep an eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom