Hillstream Loaches & Oranda - discoloration and sudden death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Little-AL

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys,

I purchased 2 x Hillstream Loaches and a small Oranda from a local LFS (that I have never used before but have quite a good rep from what I can gather) - brought them home and got them settled in to my tanks (Oranda in one tank with another small Oranda that I already had and the two loaches in my larger tank - already has one small loach, a few oranda and some gold minnows).
Noticed yesterday (Sunday) that the oranda had an odd white mucus type coating all over its body - it was just sitting on the gravel and not doing very much at all.
Both loaches had a white coating over parts of their bodies (could just about make out their markings).

This evening when I returned home from work the Oranda is about the same - not eating, not moving - when caught in net it didn't move or flap - just very slow breathing...
Both Loaches were dead - they had gone nearly totally white (I can upload a pic if it will help).

I have tested water and both tanks are: PH 7.4, Amm 0, Nitrite 1ppm, Nitrate 5ppm. All of my other fish are fine, the other loach in my tank is also fine - skitting around as usual, no discoloration etc. Same with the rest of my fish - all are absolutely fine - no visible disease, all eating and swimming as normal.

Now the fish that I bought were kept in separate tanks that I would assume are all linked through one large filter/sump system in the shop - is it possible that they were all carrying some form of disease and introducing them in to my tanks has brought it out? Should I start dosing my tanks with medication to make sure the rest of my fish stay ok?

Any help or advice would be great as I obviously don't want to lose any of my other fish!

It is likely that the lfs has one central system for all their tanks. Even with separate tanks, it is easy to cross contaminate in a busy shop. So I would assume that if one tank is sick, all tanks are sick in a lfs.

Your nitrite of 1 ppm is not good. Are you sure that is an accurate reading? <I would expect symptoms in your other fish at that nitrite level, unless you have salt in your tank.> At any rate, that is the first thing to sort out. To keep fish healthy, you must have clean water. Having high nitrite is not going to help.

I think the first thing to do is to do a large water change & good gravel clean. Whether the nitrite is real or not, clean water & reducing organics in the water will only help.

White mucus is due to thickened slime coat. This can be either heavy parasite infestation, or more likely a bacterial infection. <Esp. with the symptoms you are getting.> You might consider doing a salt bath to stripe off the slime coat in the sick oranda to reduce bacterial/parasite load, although a weak fish might not survive a salt bath.

I would be treating all the fish with a course of anti-biotic food as prophylaxis. In the future, always QT new fish, no matter how reputable the lfs is .... it saves a lot of trouble down the road.

Back
Top Bottom