hmmmm water is ok, why is fish dieing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A filter made for a 55g tank isn't sufficient enough IMO. I would go with a filter that is rated for double the tank size....so for a 110g tank.

The heater isn't sufficient either. The general rule is 5 watts per gallon, which would be a 275 watt heater, so a 250 or 300 watt heater would be right.

Cabomba is a high light plant, swords and anacharis are medium light. With only the perfecto hoods, I doubt there is enough light over the tank for the plants to thrive....especially the cabomba. The plants may be rotting and creating alot of waste, hence the 40ppm nitrates.

I'm guessing he doesn't do regular water changes (at least not weekly) with a nitrate reading of 40. Either that or he overfeeds.

As an outside observer who just read this post for the first time, I would say he was laughing because there were so many replies asking for the same thing before he had a chance to reply and because some members were getting off-topic. There were at least four posts in a row all telling him to provide more information. I think he found the level of response he had elicited amusing.

It is nice that people want to help, but not everyone takes this hobby as seriously as the rest of us. I believe a part of our job as serious fishkeepers is to convince others that this hobby is serious and worthy of quite a bit of effort. Being rude to people who come to these forums for help will certainly not accomplish that goal. It's fine if you want to write those people off, but moderators are supposed to be helpful and informative. I understand you have to chastise people who are being disrespectful, but typing LOL a couple of times hardly qualifies as rude. Making a big deal out of nothing, on the other hand, certainly does.

Plants give off O2 during the daytime, but use O2 at night. I lost 3 fish due to this, so now I use an airstone. I decided to just let it run 24/7, and haven't lost a fish yet. But I also have the air turned up pretty strong as well.

Back
Top Bottom