Hole in the head disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
1~My female German Blue Ram has a lesion on her head, that has gotten bigger in the past week and looks like it's starting to bleed. I'm putting her and the other GBR I got with her into a sick tank as we speak. I was wondering if it looks like hole in the head disease, or if it could just be an injury?

2~The pH is @ 7, temp is 82, gH is soft, NO2 is 0, ammonia is 0, and apparently I lost my test for NO3, but the tank is cycled

3~ Tank is 110 gals, been set up for more than 4 months

4~Using the Cascade 1500 canister filter, 350 gph

5~There are 8 3" discus, 20 cardinal tetras, 7 cories, and two GBRs in the tank

6~Did a water change sunday, do water changes twice a week, remove about 20%-25%

7~Had the GBR bout a week, acclimated over an hour, dripping tank water into the bag while the bag was floating

8~newest addition to the tank was the GBRs themselves

9~I feed bloodworms, brine shrimp, discus pellets, UV sterilized tubifex worms, and high quality flake food occasionally

Attachments

• Photo_6CD05879-AA16-8EC5-9B8A-1C4463E7DF21.jpg
    Photo_6CD05879-AA16-8EC5-9B8A-1C4463E7DF21.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 230
Looks more like an injury IMO. Hole in the head disease is usually only found in larger cichlids and doesn't look like the same scarring that your ram presents. What other fish is it in with.

Looks more like an injury IMO. Hole in the head disease is usually only found in larger cichlids and doesn't look like the same scarring that your ram presents. What other fish is it in with.

Another GBR, 8 discus, cardinal tetras, and cories. I'm just worried that if it's hole in the head disease, that it would spread to my discus. Ive got the GBRs separated in a QT tank for now

GBR are such delicate fish, and suseptible to infections of every sort, especially when injured.

I'd treat both with melafix, and make sure you provide hiding places in the hospital tank. It doesn't have to be fancy.

GBR are such delicate fish, and suseptible to infections of every sort, especially when injured.

I'd treat both with melafix, and make sure you provide hiding places in the hospital tank. It doesn't have to be fancy.

I'm treating both with melafix and I've got plastic plants in the tank for hiding spaces

Sounds like you are doing all you can.

I love the look and character of GBRs but have yet to actually get any because of their reputation as very hard to keep.

Keep us posted on their progress.

The ram with the abrasion passed. She seemed to be doing better, but then took a turn for the worse. The remaining ram is still vibrant, eating well, and looking good. I'm going to keep her in the hospital tank for another week though just in case.

Discus, like angelfish, get hole in the head (as opposed to head and lateral line erosion). Which means it is parasite based (Hexamita spp. or Spironucleus vortens) and can be treated with metronidazole, so not as scary as something like HLLE in oscars.

Sorry to hear for your loss. Rams can be sensitive (worse than discus IME). I hope the issue doesn't pop up in any of your other fish.

Back
Top Bottom