Honey Dwarf Gourami losing his color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeffNebraska

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my three Honey Dwarf Gouramis is slowly turning white in the back two-thirds of his body. His behavior is somewhat listless, but not too bad and he continues to eat. He also seems a little itchy, which implies a possible skin parasite.

I'm thinking about putting him in a hospital tank, but, at this point, I wouldn't know what to use to treat him.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciate.

It is possible that your gourami has skin disease which is a parasitic and the whiteness that you see is a build up of body mucus. This condition is sometimes brought on by stress through adverse water quality ie. nutrogenous waste or overcrowding, but i would check your ammonia/nitrite/nitrates. I think that if you use a treatment for parasites and raise you temperature to about 84-86 that might help. I would also treat the whole tank to stop the rest of your fish getting it.

HTH

*nods and agrees with Terry*

Def get those nitrogenous waste levels; it may be a factor. Personally I would move him into QT, although if it turns out to definitely be parasites you may have to treat the main tank as well. Can you get us a pic?

I may be able to get a pic. You can see the original state of one of his tank mates in my gallery.

It is not a cloudiness, body-slime issue, as I have seen that before and know what it looks like. I also do not have any nitrogenous waste in the tank and never go more than two weeks without a water change.

I have had some kind of parasite causing different fish in the tank to have itchy skin at different times. I am always very reluctant, however, to treat the whole tank, and I wouldn't know what to treat with in this case.

No change in this fish's condition, btw. Continues to eat and behave almost normally, with a little sluggishness. But his color is definitely not what it used to be and not that of his tank mates.

Keep the advice coming.

Back
Top Bottom