Horrible bout with swimbladder-My dad's 10 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endless Ocean in My House

Aquarium Advice Regular
My dad has a pretty 10 gal FW setup in his office.
He had: 1 gold platy, 1 red-tail black shark, 2 mollies, and a tetra.
Obviously, those fish don't go together well. I bought him the shark, but he went off on his own and talked to people at Petsmart who warned him but didn't prevent him.
When we fed them, there were a lot to eat, but they always all seemed to get what they needed. Today, my dad came home and mentioned he'd noticed a lot of dead fish the night before. I went to the tank and everyone was dead except a mollie, who is lying in a plant and struggling to breathe, and the shark, whose tail is a dull gray now. Definitely looks like swimbladder.
When I pulled out the other three to flush, I noticed that their tail fins, dorsal fins, and (side?) fins seemed shredded. I don't know how long they'd been dead however, because it isn't my tank and I don't typically do the caring for the fish.
I know that swimbladder is a cause of a LOT of things-too much feeding, too little, water chemistry changes, temp change, etc. I also remember reading that bullying was a cause.
Is it possible that the shark was bullying them all and eventually they got swimbladder and died?
The shark seems to be struggling to swim too.
What can I do?
And what do you think happened?

Attachments

• P4250239.jpg
    P4250239.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 62
Hi! Was the water in this tank ever changed? Was it ever tested? Obviously, you are aware that that theres major compatibility issues in addition to being overstocked. I believe the culprit here is a water quality issue such as high ammonia and/or nitrite that is responsible for the fish sickness & demise. Whether the two remaining fish will be able to recover with healthy water is not known. I am sorry :(

Test the water and do a large water change to begin with. Was anything changed in the tank like filter media? It is possible the shark snapped and killed off some of the weaker ones but as jlk said its most likely water quality.

The last two fish died today--Thanks for the advice.
I don't think we have all of the right FW test kits so we're taking it into a local petshop that will test it for us.
I think when we replace these guys, it'll be with one guy and I'll reclaim the tank. This was a waste of money and LIFE!

I am sorry :( Consider investing in API freshwater master test kit so you are able to accurately monitor your water in the fututre. They run @$20 on amazon. Good luck!!

Thanks again for the help guys!

Sounds like a good idea. I think we'll drain the tank and completely restart. I'll get him all the test kits he needs.

Back
Top Bottom