Horrible bump/sore on fantail goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RockinRobin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My fantailed goldfish developed two bumps under its scales, which rapidly grew over a few days and became red with a pus-filled, white center.

I have 3 goldfish in a well-established 38 gallon tank, with two Aquaclear 50 filters. My water tests today say:

NO3 20, No2 0, PH 6.5, KH 40, GH 180, NH3/NH4 0.

Every week, I do a 25% partial water change, treat water with API Stress Coat, Stress Zyme, and Aquarium salt as directed. I vacuum the gravel and rinse filters in the water I remove, and change filter inserts as directed.

I have treated with one 7-day round of Melafix for bacterial infections, and have been feeding Metro Med food. Then I did a partial water change, went to my pet store, and on their advice have started a second round of Melafix bacterial, and added treatment for Melafix fungus. One of the bumps disappeared, but the other has grown horribly (see the picture). What else can I do?

Attachments

• White goldfish's horrible pimple (640x441).jpg
    White goldfish's horrible pimple (640x441).jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 106
Hi! Welcome to AA!!! Lets start with a few questions. What are you using to test (liquid or strips)? What is your salinity/how much salt are you using and for how long? How long have you been feeding the MM? Do your fish's eyes normally appear bulged outwards or is this a new development? Do any of your other fish have symptoms? Do you have a quarantine tank? Do you also have Medigold?

We are going to come back to your ph/kh levels, water change schedule and the salt use once we are able to get your fish healthy because there are some concerns with this. For right now, I want you to do a 50% water change with temperature matched, properly conditioned water. Do not add anymore melafix/pimafix or anything else other than water conditioner dosed to your tank size. Once we have some more information, we can make further suggestions! :)

Back
Top Bottom