Hospital tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

How do I set up a hospital tank "just in case"? Do I have to have one tank running empty all the time?

Thank you.

:B-fly:

The calendar insist in showing that Spring is here. Gonna have to believe it. Have a happy one!

Yes run one tank empty all the time. Make sure to monitor the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels in it and make sure its fully cycled (serach tank cycle in the search function if you don't know what this means) doing partial water changes would be recommended every now and then to get some fresh water in there and keep it cycled. Maying adding a few fish to a small tank (5 or 10 gallon) would keep the bacteria growing.
HTH
-Stewie

You really don't need to have a tank running all the time, per se.
What you do need, is an extra filter running in one of your cycled tanks, so you can switch it over to the hospital tank. Sponge filters are ideal for this purpose.
Also, you don't even need to have a tank - a 5 gal bucket or a big rubbermaid container will do - something that you don't mind getting stained blue by some medications. You also need a spare heater big enough to handle your quarrantine tank/bucket/container.

A 5gal fully cycled tank with a sponge filter and 2 snails makes a good hopsital tank simply remove the snials and add the sick fish and when the fish gtes better add the snails again.

JMHO

I have a 10 gallon tank that I use as a hospital and quarantine tank. It is equipped with a sponge filter and heater. I empty it out when it is not being used. When I do need to use it I just fill it with water and then move some sponges from occupied tanks. The tank is completely bare except for some plastic plants and a few other plastic decorations. 10 gallons is the perfect size in my opinion because most medications base their dosages on multiples of 10 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom