How do I completely get rid of Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SomeRandomGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have four fish in my tank, 1 Ryukin, a regular Oranda, Calico Oranda or Ryukin(Not really sure) and a Wakin goldfish. My tank is 55 gallons and the filter is a Biowheel Penguin 350.

So my fish had a really bad case of ick for a week and a half and because of that my 2 fish died. It caused my Goldfish to start fighting each other and then my Ryukins fins and scales turned black. I'm not sure what caused it exactly but it doesn't look good. I did water changes every few days and salt dipped them in a bucket meanwhile. Then poured in garlic juice into my tank after an hour after I put my fish back in the tank.

My fish still have ich but it's not as bad as before and 2 of my fish don't seem to have it anymore. My Wakin and Ryukin with the black fins still have it. I've tried doing the garlic treatment, salt dip, and using Imagitarium Parasite Remedy brand for them but it still won't do away completely.

I'm not sure it this is how I should keep doing it or if I should do something differently. I don't want to waste too much water and but I'm scared that if I keep putting Ich medicine in the tank without any water changes, I'll overdose my fish and kill them. I don't know it wears off after a day or so, or it stays in the tank. Any help will be appreciated.20180614_085502.jpg20180614_085413.jpg20180614_085354.jpg20180614_080855.jpg

Black fins are usually due to high levels of ammonia in the water. Do you test the water? With ick, I've usually just turned the temp up towards 82f (slowly, and you have to have a lot of bubbles/surface agitation) for around two weeks, with lots of water changes. If you use medication, you have to follow the directions they list. Ick is a parasite that tends to go after fish with stressed and weakened immune systems, so unless you got it from a new fish, something else is going on too.

High HEAT! I go 88-90° in my tanks cause my fish can handle it. I do that for 3 days at first spots i see along with a water change and vacuum bottom when spots are off fish usually the next day or 2. If you have another tank or buckets to put your fish in for a day or 2. I'd move them out and heat the tank up. With no fish in the tank it has nothing to feed on and heat will kill it. Then do a good water change. And add cooler treated water to the tank before adding fish back in. Make sure it's same temp as what they are in at the time. Melafix works good for goldfish with fin rot. And that's caused from ammonia build up.

I don't have a test kit so I can't check on the ammonia, nitrates, etc. And neither do I have a heater since goldfish are coldwater fish. But I do have a spare tank it's a 20 gallon with a filter. I think the ammonia burns on my Ryukin were caused by garlic rotting in my fish tank after trying to feed them minced garlic. I do think the heater idea is pretty good though maybe tomorrow or so I'll buy one.

Back
Top Bottom