How do i get rid of this ich infestation !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh and as far as heat goes I've used the method and its great. Ich can only survive for 48 with out a host it is very unlikely it lies "dormant".

well tomorrow will be day 5.. the water is near 90f... fish are still riddled with dots, but they aren't dying anymore.. I don't think this medicine is doing anything..

well tomorrow will be day 5.. the water is near 90f... fish are still riddled with dots, but they aren't dying anymore.. I don't think this medicine is doing anything..

What medicine? Do salt and heat. Lower the heat slowly to 86. 90 is too high

Its been around 88-90f for 3 days, I did lower it down to 86 tho tonight. There really is no way to lower the heat slowely with the old heater she has.. 78f on It is around 86f.. Its a 55 gal it wont drop in temps quickly anyway.

Im using rid ich + this stuff isn't doing crap id figure after 5 day I would at least see my fish getting better, but one of my platy's is literally coverd I mean coverd in white dots.. Im going to try salt tomorrow.. but im really low on funds... I've spent $300 on both tanks, between fish, meds, fake and live plants, a new heater for mine, the uv filter ect.. I really don't wanna spend anymore money

Its been around 88-90f for 3 days, I did lower it down to 86 tho tonight. There really is no way to lower the heat slowely with the old heater she has.. 78f on It is around 86f.. Its a 55 gal it wont drop in temps quickly anyway.

Im using rid ich + this stuff isn't doing crap id figure after 5 day I would at least see my fish getting better, but one of my platy's is literally coverd I mean coverd in white dots.. Im going to try salt tomorrow.. but im really low on funds... I've spent $300 on both tanks, between fish, meds, fake and live plants, a new heater for mine, the uv filter ect.. I really don't wanna spend anymore money

Quick question, did you remove the filter before adding in the medication? I've been skimming this entire thread, but sorry if I missed it!

The meds suck
Do salt. It will work

Ok I guess I'll buy some aquarium salt.. but im down to my last $20..... I wish I could just use some table salt.. I put 4 teaspoons in the other day they didn't seem to mind it.. Cant I just use regular salt...

Ok I guess I'll buy some aquarium salt.. but im down to my last $20..... I wish I could just use some table salt.. I put 4 teaspoons in the other day they didn't seem to mind it.. Cant I just use regular salt...

I think your supposed to stick to kosher. I could be wrong

The meds suck
Do salt. It will work

I beg to differ!!!! Lol no but they don't work for everyone, different conditions I'm sure are a factor. And yeah your filter isn't running on the tank right? Something like carbon will just suck up the meds. I noticed Rid Ich + took a while and the difference I noticed was while my loaches were covered with Ich, they were no longer lethargic and not eating. Everything was normal except for the spots. I would say continue the treatment and add salt as mentioned by Jw.

Na I did research before I started the meds.. filters have been in a bucket since I started.. The pump is running to keep water flowing.. Only filter I have running is that UV filter, but I called the people who make rid ich and talked to some DR. and he said no he doesn't tink the UV will effect the meds... Im not sure tho, because he wouldn't shut up and stop trying to sell me he products, and kept telling me if my nitrates were 40+ my fish would be dead instantly.. I almost laughed

The fish aren't super lethartgic.. They are eating, they are actually swimming, 2 of the platy's that have it really bad like to swim against the current that the power head for the undergravel filter makes.. And she has a pretty strong power head in there.. I tilted it so it could get flow and bubbles to the other side of the tank today.. I noticed that side wasn't getting bubbles and the fish over there were lethargic and since I did that they are swimming around now.. so could have been a lack of oxygen.

Her 4 neons aren't looking to good now tho.. they are old neons 2+ years old.. So they are full size and accustomed to the tank.. But they look very poor.. I could only count 3 today so im worried. On a positive note the water changes for the last week here nitrates are now at 10.. our city water has 5, so that's good news.. much better then the 80+ it was at

That's good with the WC's, the less stress the fish have the better. All I can say is keep doing what your doing. If they are eating and swimming that's a good sign. Be patient, I know it sucks because you feel for the fish. Of all that's been mentioned, there's nothing else you can do.

Also keep the lights out while the fish and tank are healing. They don't swim around as much with the lights out. And feed every other day. Good luck.

well update it seems the ich is now gone on the fish... Its been 6-7 days now.. The red platys that had the major infestation on them are clean and its off the other fish too.. In fact those platys that were riddled with it have like open wounds and scars on them now from it..

One of the 4 2+ year old neon tetra's died today tho the other 3 seem to be gasping hard with their mouths and look sickly... So im going to stop with the meds.. and high heat.. The heat has been at 88f for 7 days and I think those meds are hurting the fish.. So I turned the heater down to 70f, which should be around 76-78f since her heater is too hot by 10f.. The temps over the last 5 hours have dropped from 88-90f to about 85f right now..

Im going to continue with 25% water changes and using prime but im done with the meds.. I don't want anymore of those neons to die.. Her nitrates today I checked are at 10 now which is really good.. she got more rocks to make the substrate deeper and she got a very large amazon sword plant (well it came with 4) and buried that in the rocks...

So I think the worst of the ich is gone.. I realize ich can come back from what I have heard... but these high temps and the meds are really stressing the fish I don't want to boil them alive anymore.

My tank the ich seems to be spreading slowely.. so my temps have been at 82-84f and im using 2 teaspoons of rid ich.. not the full dose since I have smaller more sensitive fish then her tank.. Like white clouds and lots of small rainbows and neon tetra's.. So I'll keep it like this for a few days then put my temps back to normal and stop the meds.

Back
Top Bottom