How do I help my guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenEgret

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a turqoise male guppy from the LPS two days ago and picked one from a healthy looking tank and the fish looked okay at first glance when a worker bagged him but I took a closer look at him while I was acclimating him to my tank and he has these dark spots ontop of his head and his tail seems a little raggidy and in between the purple veins(?) of his tail the color is a lot clearer than his body and I'm not sure if it's rot fin or if I'm being paranoid. Should I buy antibiotics or something to help if it is? Is the medication safe for plants or should I take him out of that tank and put him in a fish bowl for a few hours?
(I bought the bowl to put plants in but it's currently empty because I haven't done anything yet)

Pics
zx6hxPf.jpg

RYSqwIR.jpg

CbqC6bA.jpg

Also I think he's a little stressed out now because the other male guppy in the tank keeps following him around and doing the mating dance so he keeps having to fight him off. Will this end eventually when they have established a social order? I'm asking because they've been doing this for two days and they aren't stopping. I put some more plants in the aquarium and that may have helped a little because it seperates them more but one is still harassing the other. Will this stop eventually?

The fish seems to act pretty healthy in that he's got a good appetite and eats fine but he does swim around the tank a lot running away from the other fish. I haven't noticed him floating only at the top or at the bottom either.

My tank is 3 gallons with a filter and 4 small plants, I remove about 40% of the water once a week and wash the fish marble ground once a week I'm not sure what the ph is but the water is clear and you can't smell the tank if you're sniffing above it. I don't have a light or heater but I live in a tropical state that's never cold and I put my tank ontop of a table near a window, half of the tank is exposed to sunlight but the other half is shaded with plants outside the aquarium.

>okay I know this isn't the right forum but I don't want to make another thread so dollarweed is safe for fish right? I've googled some other forums mentioning it but it's never clearly answered so I'm going to throw that out there, it's a relative of pennywort and I know where I can get some that hasn't been directly exposed to fertilizers or pesticides. Can I put it in my tank?

Thanks for all the help in advanced sorry for making you read my giant blocks of text :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom