How long does velvet take to clear up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crystalbettas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I realized two weeks ago that one of my bettas has velvet. i've never dealt with this disease before. i did a complete 100% water change and used copper aid on the new water. and today i did a 50% water change and added the copper aid to the new water before putting it in the tank.

the shiny gold "dust" doesn't seem to have changed at all. but what HAS changed is that he seems to be growing his fins back. his fins had been disappearing for a while and i tried several different things, not knowing what was causing it. at this point, i'm figuring it's fin rot. but the only medication i've used is the copper. can velvet cause fin loss?

IMG_7070.JPG

this photo was taken two weeks ago. the one below was taken today.

IMG_7516.JPG

if you look closely, you can see the difference in the end of his fins.

IMG_7539.JPG

i'm just wondering how long velvet takes to clear up. will i start to see less "dust" on him within the next couple of weeks? is the copper aid working? how do i know if i'm using the right type of medication for him? any responses are welcome.

From what I've seen on threads, it should clear within a week. Is he improving?

the dusty color on him hasn't changed at all and it's been three weeks. but his fins are growing back and he's active and seems healthy. he's eating and everything, but this gold dust just hasn't changed.

Back
Top Bottom