Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How many days to reat ich

I am on day 11 of treating with Rid Ich+. Only lost the one fish that actually showed spots. The others seem fine with no spots, but one of them is a dalmation molly and it is hard to tell if the white is from coloring or if it is spots. I am going cross eyed watching him because he never stops so I can get a really good look.

How many more days should I treat the tank?

10 gallon - current residents are dalmation molly, cockatoo cichlid, zebra danio, ruby barb, snail

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will say how long to treat on the package . Just wanted to let you know that of you would raise the temp to 86 the ich should go away on its own. IMO you should ditch the meds keep the water very clean and raise the temp also keep the water at that temp for 10 days after the last of the ich goes away.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

What about salt? Is it really needed with the heat? Also, what about the 24 hours it takes to get up to 86? The parasite could do damage in that time. It is advisable to use meds for a couple days, then once the heat is up do water changes to get the med out?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

No the salt is not needed and you don't need 24 hrs to get to that temp I raise a degree every half hour so if you have a good heater it wont be an issue. To take the meds out put activated carbon in your filter and it will do it for you. What type of fish do you have in your tank.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cockatoo cichlid, zebra danio, ruby barb, dalmation sailfin molly

So, you don't recommend using meds for a couple days because I can raise the temp in a few hours? And, that is fast enough to keep the parasite from doing too much damage?

I used carbon to get the med out this time. It has been two days and no signs of spots. Should I go ahead and raise the temp now for the next 10 days to make sure?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes you should your fish will be fine without the meds for even a couple of days. All your fish will be fine at that temp I you have no longer been swing spots 7 days will be enough time for the high temp.

Ps: most diseases can be treated with clean water heat salt or some other thing you have around the house. IME meds are rarely needed.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks - I will start upping the temp now.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also...what about water changes when you use heat? Do you still need them to clean up the substate and get what parasites you can out of the water? How often, or just the usual once a week?
Old 02-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes you have to do a regular water change once a week will suffice but do thrifty percent. Just make sure to add warmer water than usual to the tank cause the tank is warmer than usual
Old 02-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodrough View Post
Cockatoo cichlid, zebra danio, ruby barb, dalmation sailfin molly

So, you don't recommend using meds for a couple days because I can raise the temp in a few hours? And, that is fast enough to keep the parasite from doing too much damage?

I used carbon to get the med out this time. It has been two days and no signs of spots. Should I go ahead and raise the temp now for the next 10 days to make sure?
First off, and I'm sorry to point this out-but your tank is way overstocked. None of those fish should be in there, they all get too big for a ten gallon.

Ich usually comes from poor water quality. What is your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates concentration exactly?

IME the best sure-fire method to get rid of ich is a combination of really high temperatures, along with a little salt and meds (I wouldn't rely too heavily on these).

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodrough View Post
Also...what about water changes when you use heat? Do you still need them to clean up the substate and get what parasites you can out of the water? How often, or just the usual once a week?
I would do water changes every day. Ich is not going to go away once the fish don't have it any more. Ich is a parasite and it can still be roaming around. You will still want to be treating for ich even after it is gone, to make sure any leftovers are terminated.

I hope that helped you out. Good luck!

Tags
eat, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com