How should I care for severely handicapped fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Campepsi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got my first tank (5 gallons) 2 weeks ago. I got 2 almost fin-less goldfish (by fin-less I mean that their fins are almost non existent and their tails are badly damaged, my fan tail still has a small tail but the other one has a stump for a tail, I can often see it doing back flip in the tank just to get right side up). Long story short, they are ''rescues'' from an owner who forgot to care for them (Alzheimer) an I was asked if I wanted them.
I know very little about aquariums, but I did my research and though I was ready for them. I didn't knew at the time they were fin-less. Apparently they were so hungry, they attacked each other an ate their fins. After some research I found out it might be fin rot, but there is no white edges on their fins so I really dont know. The smallest of the two appears to be blind in one eye. He doesnt detect food sinking if its on his bad side, but he rushes to the food when its on his good side.
I know a 5 gallon is small for 2 goldfish, I'm planning on a upgrade very soon.
I change water an clean the gravel once a week but I might consider doing it twice a week from now on since my amonia level is a bit high. The pH level was fine though. I did not test nitrite yet. The fish arent gasping for air, so I'm assuming the water is okay for now.
I added a decor recently, but I washed it carefully before adding it and brushed it with a clean toothbrush I use only for the tank.

Due to this situation I have few questions...
1: When it comes to food, I read you should give what the fish can eat within X seconds (I say X because every website gives different information and I dont know witch one to believe), but what about my fishes? Its a bit unfair if I remove the food before they even notice it or had the time to get to it. I used both, floating and sinking food. I try not to use floating food since I know they can swallow air that will make them float, but one of them is blind and I'm afraid he wont find the food between the rocks before the other one finds it.
2: One of my goldfish is floating, I know it means the organ that help him float is affected or that he swallowed air, but in both case I dont know what to do... I tried giving them peas because he might be constipated as well, but I'm not sure he ate any, because he cant see it very well, because I'm suspecting that he might be blind in one eye... What should I do?
3: If you have any advice for me other than the question I asked... I would really appreciate it... My situation is a bit uncommon and I cant find answers easily on how to care for almost fin-less and tail-less fishes.
I say fin-less but they do have some fins more or less intact. The most handicapped one has no pectoral fins at all and a stump for a caudal fin. He does have functional pelvic and somewhat of a dorsal fin and a anal fin, but thats it.

Thank you for your time...

Hi,
This is a tough thing to deal with.

The fish need a much larger tank for these kind of fish. Used tanks are available but I believe Petco has the dollar per gallon sale. You can get a new pretty reasonably priced tank. I would try for a 40G breeder if you can find one.

Keep it on a strong level stand. If you can't afford a stand the floor will work in a pinch. The water is heavy.

This article is a great resource for learning fast about caring for a tank.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

...and specifically about what to do since you now already have fish.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

As for a filter you can get a really good filter, especially critical for goldfish. If this is a cost you can fund then you can use the link to show to petsmart or petco and get a filter immediately from them in store and they will price match major online companies (including their own).

Get Prime water conditioner the store will price match this as well. You often save a few dollars! Get a big bottle of this it helps get you through the fish-in cycle with less damage to the fish.
https://www.seachem.com/prime.php

https://www.chewy.com/aquaclear-cyc...h1qyxMW31XkjJoUj8B85vS9qXIbO26TYaAqoSEALw_wcB

If you can not buy a tank and filter new, maybe can find a used one. Right now you don't need gravel. If cost is an issue, a really big Sterlite or Rubber maid opaque/shear plastic tote is an alternative.

Keeping this tank SUPER clean is important. Not having white lines or fuzzy edges on the fins is good.

Keep trying the peas and the blind one may heal some if it has good food and super clean water. A bit of aquarium salt would be in order here.

Also Epsom salts, plain no additives, essential oils, etc. About 3.50-$4. for a good size bag.

If the Goldfish is blind it will get used to searching for food from it's good side. The fins should start to grow back.

Again this is a process which will require large water changes pretty much on a daily basis to keep the water in excellent condition and you might also need medication.

https://www.seachem.com/kanaplex.php

Back
Top Bottom