How to add Seachem Metronidazole with Focus to Pellets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fddlss

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys,

I have a 120 gallon aquarium with 9 African cichlids and I've noticed that 3 of my fish have sunken bellies and one of them has damaged fins and tail, also.

All of them are eating and one of them remains hiding, except when he eats. I saw white stringy poop a couple of times and the fish with the damaged fins that was previously hiding but it's not hiding that much anymore. Now, he is constantly being chased by my male Venustus.

The water parameters are good, Nitrates were a little high, but that's fixed now.

I've treated them with Jungle Parasite Clear first, then I've tried API General Cure, and today I tried Seachem Metro + Focus for the first time since the other methods didn't work.

This is where my question comes, I feed them pellets and I would prefer not to change their food, unless it's necessary, I know that frozen food is recommended when blending with Seachem's meds. What I did is get a very small amount of tank water in a plastic cup and add 24 measures of Metro and about 120 measures of Focus, since they recommend one measure or two of Metro for every 10 gallons and my tank is 120 g. I used 24 measures of Metro and 120 measures of Focus because the ratio is Focus 5:1 to Metro. Then, I put the pellets in the cup and mixed everything and let it sit for about 20 minutes. When feeding the fish I made sure that all of them ate at least two pellets and the rest of the mixture I dropped it in the water after I was done feeding. Did I do something wrong or that is the way to do it?

By the way, I've used more than one bottle of Focus, if I plan on treating every 48 hours for the next 10 days I will need 15 bottles of Focus and about 4-5 bottles of Metro which is A LOT! and a lot of $$, too. Is there a way to use less medication maybe mixing according to food portion instead of water volume?

I have a QT but there are new fish in quarantine right now, so that's not an option and I prefer to be safe and treat the whole tank since this has been going on for about a month now.

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom