Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpadesSI

Do you keep fish in your permanent QT to keep it cycled at all times?
You wouldn't have to. You'd just be fishless cycling 24/7 is what I think she means. But you know what they say about assuming... Lol.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpadesSI View Post
Do you keep fish in your permanent QT to keep it cycled at all times?
If you have fish in a QT, then it's no longer a QT but a DT, right?

I keep a spare filter running on my DT and if I ever need to QT any fish I can do so in about 10 minutes. I have a spare tank (actually a 5g clear plastic bin) set aside with a heater and light and you don't even need the light. When I need to, I fill the QT up with a 50/50 mix of tank water and dechlorinated water, pull the spare filter from my DT, plug in the heater and I have a fully cycled ready to go QT.

The best part is I'm not wasting additional electricity, doing PWC and whatever else to keep an empty tank running for god knows how long between uses.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
Mog
Aquarium Advice Regular

Mr. Limpet,

I have a question for you about that... I have a 75g and purchased a 10g for a QT tank. I was planning on doing the same thing as you and figured a little extra filtration wouldn't hurt. The problem I ran into, is that the filters rated for a smaller tank, won't fit on the rim of the 75g.

Are you using a larger rated filter? Other than taking the pad out and putting into my canister, any ways to get it mounted on the 75?

Thanks
Old 05-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Mr. Limpet,

I have a question for you about that... I have a 75g and purchased a 10g for a QT tank. I was planning on doing the same thing as you and figured a little extra filtration wouldn't hurt. The problem I ran into, is that the filters rated for a smaller tank, won't fit on the rim of the 75g.

Are you using a larger rated filter? Other than taking the pad out and putting into my canister, any ways to get it mounted on the 75?

Thanks
If you have room in your filter to put the pad in, it will seed and be ready just like I do with an extra HOB on my tank. Extra (reasonable) filtration is never a bad thing .

As for modifying the 10g filter to fit the 75g, I wouldn't do it to mine. Have you tried putting it on the rim and seeing if the intake tube reaches below the waterline? I'm just thinking that even if it doesn't fit all the way down onto the rim, as long as it's stable, can p/u water and the output goes into the tank without making a wet mess, it'll still filtering (and seeding for the QT).

Tags
quarantine, quarantine tank, set up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com