How to treat for gill flukes when carbon is inseparable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snuffleupagus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey folks!

I recently got a pair of clown loaches for my 29 gallon (yes, I know they get big -- if I still want them I'll upgrade, otherwise I'll sell/give them away), and one of them came with some bonus gill flukes, almost certainly. I picked him because he's very bold and has good dark,clear colors, but he's also got ugly red spots on his gills, and he seems a bit on the lean side, even though he should be fat with all the snuffling around and eating he does. The other loach is much plumper, but has faded colors and spends all his time lying vertically against a fake log under a petrified rock I leaned up against it. I wish he would come out more (and when he does all he does is zoom up and down like a fish possessed, with his nose to the glass, staring at his reflection. I call him Narcissifish. He doesn't go after food when I put it in, and I've only rarely even seen him half-heartedly snuffle about, like he knows it's what loaches are supposed to do but doesn't care for it, personally), but I'm hoping with time he'll get bolder, especially once I add another loach or two. Maybe he needs more caves to feel safe.

But I digress -- mostly I'm concerned with treating these gill flukes. It's no trouble to put some parasite medicine in, but my tank's filter (a presumably cheap-o top fin HOB which seems to be working well) has only one element in it which is supposed to provide all three types of filtration (that is, the carbon is coated on fibers that do mechanical filtration, and on which the bacteria is supposed to be growing). So it doesn't seem like there's any way to remove the carbon without removing the filtration entirely. I don't really know what to do to make the medication effective. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks.

If the cartridge is more than 10 days old, it may not matter as the tiny amount of carbon in it will be almost certainly exhausted already anyways.

You can cut open a filter cartridge and empty the carbon and then re-insert the cartridge so as to maintain your current biofiltration.
When using any meds remember to be on the lookout for signs of a cycle due to the meds killing the bio-filter.

I highly suggest you obtain a quality filter, HOB or other that you can mix-n-match medias to meet your needs. The Hagen Aquaclear brand HOB's are inexspensive and well regarded, you can put any type/combo of media you desire in its media chamber.
Cartridge filters are a pain, tend to limit your media choices and IMO cost more to operate.

Goodluck treating the flukes.

You can cut open a filter cartridge and empty the carbon and then re-insert the cartridge so as to maintain your current biofiltration.
When using any meds remember to be on the lookout for signs of a cycle due to the meds killing the bio-filter.

I highly suggest you obtain a quality filter, HOB or other that you can mix-n-match medias to meet your needs. The Hagen Aquaclear brand HOB's are inexspensive and well regarded, you can put any type/combo of media you desire in its media chamber.
Cartridge filters are a pain, tend to limit your media choices and IMO cost more to operate.

Goodluck treating the flukes.

Back
Top Bottom