How to treat fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stop.alvin

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't have any fish that has fungus but, in case it comes, how can I treat it? Does epsom salt work? Prazipro?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I was told furan 2. I didn't have access so I bought some tetra tabs with nitrofuranizole or something like that in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fungus only usually infects dead skin or wounds, it should NOT LIVE ON A HEALTHY fish. Furan-2 or Methylene blue are your 2 best options that are readily available.

Fungus only usually infects dead skin or wounds, it should NOT LIVE ON A HEALTHY fish. Furan-2 or Methylene blue are your 2 best options that are readily available.

I was just wondering if the furan2 works ok for this? Kind of confused on this med if it does help or not for fungal to same degree as say MB. And not much on internet that is useful.

For the OP, I've had catfish get fungal infections where they hole-up in narrow caves with poor flow or if water change temp too cold (thinking about it possibly as they are holing up somewhere as well). The catfish is still going strong.

I was just wondering if the furan2 works ok for this? Kind of confused on this med if it does help or not for fungal to same degree as say MB.

Medications. You'll see anti-fungal patent medicines and herbal remedies locally and on-line touted to "promote healing." Read the ingredients of your patent anti-fungal medication with a critical eye. Anti-bacterial medications from the furan group or sulfa drugs — even the use of medicated feed — and now herbal tinctures are often recommended
This is taken from;
Fungal infections | The Skeptical Aquarist

Actually coral, wouldn't PP work for mould?
For mould like as a fungus treatment?
Last treatment listed in the above link.

Potassium permanganate. If you act cautiously enough, potassium permanganate will oxidize residual organics, eliminate ectoparasites and attack fungi. It is the treatment to try when a salt bath is not halting fin erosion

Medications. You'll see anti-fungal patent medicines and herbal remedies locally and on-line touted to "promote healing." Read the ingredients of your patent anti-fungal medication with a critical eye. Anti-bacterial medications from the furan group or sulfa drugs — even the use of medicated feed — and now herbal tinctures are often recommended
This is taken from;
Fungal infections | The Skeptical Aquarist

I kind of found what looked like a research article on using furan 2 on fungal infection. Only trouble was I couldn't access it so the search continues.

If it's through a university I may be able to get it. I have access to some stuff through my university

If it's through a university I may be able to get it. I have access to some stuff through my university

If you are studying science or biology, they should definitely have methylene blue, the best anti-fungal I know of..... but destroys good bacteria too. Furan 2 has a chemical they throw in for fungus/microbes, its called potassium dichromate. Check that and see if it has anti-microbal properties, mm pretty sure it does.

Thanks :) I'll look back and see if I can find the link again. Might be a weekend search.

This I have found to date. I assume the same Carl that writes a lot of articles. So should be good practical experience? The only nagging doubt I have is maybe the fungal infection is secondary to bacterial so meds like triple sulpha or furan 2 'help' by knocking off an underlying bacterial infection and the fish does the rest. Just speculating though.

http://everythingaquatic.proboards.com/thread/1784

'Often many fungal (Saprolegnia) treatments will not work for Columnaris, however many Columnaris treatments can also help for Saprolegnia.
I have found that Nitrofurazone (Furan 2) works well for Saprolegnia (Fungus)'

'It is noteworthy that Melafix is not truly effective for either since it is primarily gram positive and Columnaris is a gram negative bacterium & Saprolegnia (fungus) responds better to most gram negative treatments (although it is not a bacterium).'

Back
Top Bottom