How to treat guppy with fin rot.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jo26

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

I've recently noticed that one of my guppies has fin rot! (I'm pretty certain it's fin rot anyway) I was just wanting some advise on how to treat it?

Thanks

What did your LFS ? I can almost promise you they probably did not help, sold you something useless, and you still dont completely understand it.
That is what pet stores do, sell you garbage.
If you want advice, come here or to other aquariust forums. Some are better than others.

I showed them a picture and they said that it was fin rot and told me to take the carbon out of my filter and gave me some drops to go in the tank over a 3 day period.

I did what they told me today so hopefully it will do the trick.

Some drops?
What is the active ingredient?
Ive been doing this ten years, and ive very rarely seen Fish store or pet store people actually give good advice. IMO they are either complete idiots and know nothing about fish, or they give bad advice on purpose. (to keep you coming back for more fish and more meds, means more $$ to them)
Either way, is the fin rot affecting the pectoral or dorsal fins, or just the caudal (tail) ?
Many fish cadual fins will rot, as long as that is it then no problem, when the rot spreads to other parts of the fish and the body, then you have a problem and need
real antibiotics.

It's just on the tail.

I'm not home right now but I can tell you what the drops are when I get back.

They have been a great help in there in the past with my stocking when I first started so I'm hoping all will be good.

I will happily take your advise though if you have any advise for me on how to treat it?

If you would like a less invasive approach. Pristine water quality will repair fin rot if fish is not near death. Daily wc will promote repair.

The fish isn't near death. He seems absolutely fine. All of my others are fine as well. I did a 50% water change 3 days ago before I added the stuff from my LFS and today is the last day. I will start doing daily water changes as of tomorrow and hopefully it will clear up.
Thank you for your input.

Back
Top Bottom