Humane way of killing a fish need response fast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well we had a power outtage earlier, and Im guessing that one of my molly fry was playing to close to the filter intake, because i found her, half crushed, stuck to the filter intake. Shes still alive, but shes in pitiful shape, i doubt theres anything I can do for her. Her..well..entrails are kind of ...showing.. Anyways, how should I put her down? or should i just wait for nature to take its course

If the poor thing in is such a poor condition, I would just cut its head off as quickly as possible. I know, it sounds horrible, but if its guts are hanging out, I think it is the quickest way to do it. Sorry for your loss tho... :(

Either that, or wrap it in a paper towel and crush it quickly with a rock... I hate these decapitation/crushing ideas since I had to put my fish down too... wasnt' as bad as yours though T_T sorry to hear bout your fishie

no the best way is to put the fish in a bag with some water and put it in the freezer...that way it slowly goes into a deep sleep...

tailbarlionfish said:
no the best way is to put the fish in a bag with some water and put it in the freezer...that way it slowly goes into a deep sleep...

In this particular situation, I disagree with that method because the poor thing is already suffering enough as it is (guts being exposed and all). Quickest way is better. The method you propose will just prolong the suffering for the poor thing.

Just my 2 cents.

8)

I would go with the sharp knife decapitation, but I have also done the rock. Anything like that will give you an instant kill versus a long suffering death like freezing.

Freezing is more commonly used with fish that are ill with no hope of recovery, not for severly crippled mangled fish. Go with the knife or rock in these cases, or a cup full of ice water would be quick for a small fish and less....icky.

I went ahead and put her and icewater then froze her more. She died pretty fast.. I couldnt stand hitting her or decapitating her.

I am sorry for your loss. Its tough to make the decision and tougher to carry it out. You did good I am sure your fish did not suffer.

Back
Top Bottom