Hurt ice blue cichlid...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've never had an injured fish like this before... Happened on the way home throughout a cramped hour long drive in the bag.

Then when he was reclusive he was still getting beat up so I moved the others to my main tank and kept him in there. He was hiding and came out today without a tail. So I don't know what to do with him. I've heard fins grow back, but this is excessive and it seems clear that it won't work in my main tank. I don't want to just give up on the guy. But if his tail is messed I doubt someone would want him. Maybe he goes to a family members turtle? What would you guys do in this situation? Will it heal?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439947266.929023.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Concentration of 0.5% salts will help speed healing process and prevent infection.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok I'll see if I have some around here. How long would I be looking at if it will heal? Of course I mean generally. It's in the 55 gallon I was going to switch my girlfriends community tank over to so idk if I can keep him in anything bigger than a 29 gallon 30x12" footprint tank after a couple weeks.

I wouldn't move him too much, might stress it out more than it already is, as for the healing time I'm unsure, it depends on the fish. Could take months, someone with more knowledge on this subject should chime in and give you more info that you need.

Good luck! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks for the help. Maybe someone else will have an opinion. He seems to be out now and pretty lively. I was trying to pile food under his little cave so he could get it and it never stayed so I think he's going to be fine now. I just can't really keep him myself so if he won't heal it'll be hard to rehome I think :/

How many teaspoons of salt would you add to a tank that measures 48x12x18"?

1 teaspoon per 20 liters but I would put less to be safe, that's just what I would do if your tank is well kept anyway. But that's the recommended dosage.

I had a female get beat up like that after breading I out her in her own tank and in a month her tail fin grew back.wasnt quit as bad as this one but close

I was told it was a 55 gallons, but i think those dimensions work out to more like 45 gallons? Being only 18" tall, i think 55s are 21". Either way, thanks for the help! Ill try and get him all healed up and hopefully a good home! Just made me a bit sad seeing him without a tail all of a sudden. Good thing i moved the others from the tank because he had a tail last i saw. Doubt he would have made it much longer

Im glad to help when I can..good luck, I'm sure your fish will come through.

Back
Top Bottom