I also have a sick Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PondFond

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, my male betta fish has been acting very strangley lately. I think that every minute could be his last then he will perk up and swim to the top wich looks like it takes him alot of energy to do. He still eats and i have had him for 4 years so i don't want to mess with chemicals. What procedures would help

Attachments

• picture_031.jpg
    picture_031.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 91
At four years the betta is pushing its age. That's the only advice I can offer since you haven't bothered to read the sticky topic called "Before posting about unhealthy fish, read this!"

Your Betta is a geriatric old geezer :wink:...
I would lower his water level to just 4-5", add some plants with large flat surfaces for him to lay/sleep on and feed him lightly with high protein or live foods. This will make his old age easier on him.

I agree with the others -- the betta is probably nearing the end of his natural lifespan, but there are things you can do, like Chile says -- lower the water level a bit to make it easier for him to get to the water surface. Bettas must fill their labyrinth with air, so he needs to be able to get to the surface easily.

I can't see anything obviously wrong in the picture. Answering the sticky Q's would help too.

thanks so much for all the great help. I did the things you said besides get plants i will wait till the holiday is over to do that. I am doing all i can to help him. If he could talk he would say thank you glub glub haha lol. :lol: :(

Pondfond wrote
I did the things you said besides get plants i will wait till the holiday is over to do that.
Shopping tip, Silk plants are better IMO than plastic, they are softer and look better. Silk plants at the LFS are exspensive, here's the tip :wink:
Buy silks at the local Crafts or Floral store, buy plants without any wire in the stems, don't buy silks with perfumes or anything painted, other than that they are the same thing as in the LFS.
You can usually trim one bunch/branch and make a alot of little plants.

when you guys are talking about plants do you mean real ones that oxygenate the water or do you mean a fake one for them to hide it?

Either. Bettas with noone to hide from tend to use plants as places to rest or sleep, a plant with flat horizontal leaves or stems make a nice to lay down and relax.

i just got back from the pet store and i bough two differant types of live plants, one with very wide horizantal leaves and another that it kinda like a really thin fern. I also put a snail in with him for some help cleaning up.

Back
Top Bottom