I don’t know how to help my betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paiges_q

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My betta fish elie has been acting weird for a couple of weeks now. He just sits at the top of the tank not moving around very much and holding his fins quite close to himself. I thought it was because of a small tank so I got him a new one I think it’s 1.5 gallons with a filter system and a heater in the new tank I also put a little bit of aquarium salt in the tank to relieve him from stress but he’s still acting weird. I really love my little fish and I dong want him to suffer if anyone has advice it would be greatly appreciated

Hi Paiges_q. Welcome to the community.

Great news that he has a bigger space to live in. Changing tanks can give him more room to explore, but it sounds like he isn't feeling well.

Do you have a test kit for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate?

Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is? There is a great link in my signature with an article about fish keeping info, and how the nitrogen cycle works and knowing about this stuff can really help you become a better fish keeper.

How often are you changing water in Elie's tank?

What kind of dechlorinator are you using?

Do you have a pic of his new tank to post?

They often like to have plants and branches and decor or wood to rest in. Sitting in a very small tank doesn't allow the fish to swim much and stay strong. The new tank and filter flow should be nice for him when he builds up his muscles.

What are you feeding Elie?

One of the most important things is to have fresh clean (treated) water and have the ammonia (under .25 - 0 is great), nitrite (0) and nitrate 10 to 30ish - in the safe zone.

Back
Top Bottom