I Don`t Know What to do Anymore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleGoldfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So awhile ago my*Goldfish*had a hookworm incident and it was all my fault but I've learned my lesson now, but since then they've developed red lines on their tails and my bubble eye has some on the bubble part. When they had hookworm, red lines where everywhere, but now its only cleared up to be about two or three lines, but the problem is they wont go away. Theyve had these 2 or 3 lines for a few months now while the ones that where all over their tails went away instantly after treating them.
I've read up on it and it says the water might be the problem, the tank is holding to many fish, they are stressed, or not enough air. So I checked the water and nothing wrong. Air cannot be the problem because air is always being created in my aquarium set up, they never show signs of stress like clamped fins, not eating, or hiding. I have a 125 gallon tank with 4 Goldfish in it so I think I'm good there too. Everything is fine, but the red lines stick around no matter what, I took all the plants out, feed them different food, took out decorations, but nothing at all, they stay the same. I even did more than half water change just in case. Nothing either.

I've researched more about it and saw it can also mean a virus.....Ive come to the conclusion that this might be it. However I dont know how to treat it. My fish have been fine for the past year and a half and have only shown these lines since the incident. I've read that they become lethargic and dont eat with the virus but mine are quite the opposite. They swim around constantly and come to me when it's feeding time and always want more. I've seen that rotten food can also cause it but the food is long gone when they eat and I have a very good filtration system. So ...what do I do? Are they long gone? How do I go about the curing process or is there no such thing? Please, someone help me out.

Thank you for taking the time to read into my situation. :)

Hello Little...

Okay. Let's start with the basics. What's your water change routine?

B

I change the water every month and a half with usually half or a little more water taken out.

Well there is you problem right there. Water changes need to be done AT LEAST every two weeks. I would recommend doing a 30% water change every week until your fish recover. Good Luck!

I dont think water is my problem because my water is always great which is exactly the problem there, why is my water fine but the fish seem sick. As I also mentioned, I have a very good filtration system so that helps to. I dont think my water is the problem. My tank is huge for only 4 small goldfish, I could understand if they were quite large though.

Well there is you problem right there. Water changes need to be done AT LEAST every two weeks. I would recommend doing a 30% water change every week until your fish recover. Good Luck!

Excellent advice . Weekly water changes are the main key to a healthy tank.

I check my water frequently and its always good. If I knew it wasn't I would obviously be doing water changes.

Brad on here said it best...... imagine living in a toilet, you'd want to change the water frequently. Your fish poop and pee in a considerably small area in a tank as compared to being in the wild. Imagine living in that for several weeks without new water.

Brad on here said it best...... imagine living in a toilet, you'd want to change the water frequently. Your fish poop and pee in a considerably small area in a tank as compared to being in the wild. Imagine living in that for several weeks without new water.
But then why is the water fine when i check it? Theyve always been like that and they are only showing problems after the incident.

But then why is the water fine when i check it? Theyve always been like that and they are only showing problems after the incident.

We don't know if the water is fine or not. You need to provide us all your tank parameters and what you are testing for. It really helps to get a better idea of what might be going on with the tank. I would tend to agree its a water issue. Not changing water for a month or more is not good.

Last edited:
Organics build up in the water. Imagine living in a toilet as BB put it. You'd want to change the water frequently.
Hello, water changes not only remove excess fish waste, food & nitrates. It also replenishes minerals & trace elements that fish need to stay healthy. I do weekly 30% water changes(even if water tests perfect 0,0,10-20). Here is pic of nitrogen cycle. Hope this helps you.Screenshot_2019-04-27-08-03-23.jpegScreenshot_2019-04-27-08-06-42.jpeg

Are you using a liquid test kit or test strips?

Often a section of the test strips can just be wrong. I lost a tank of fish because of previously tested strips which were fine and double checked and kept the lid on pretty tight and then one day I had dying /dead fish and found the strips were bad.

AND being sick / having a bad tank experience lake Anchor worms can take its tole on the fish and they could have a internal bacterial infection. Medications used to treat fish are also hard on their systems.

You have a great size tank for 4 small gold fish which are growing. But changing water is important for the aformentioned reasons.

Gomez pretty much lined out my next comment. You lose minerals and such as they are consumed by fish and plants. Water changes replenish them.

You should test your TDS. If it's 500 or more your fish health could be affected. TDS will rise in a tank that doesn't get frequent water changes.

Back
Top Bottom