I dont think she will get better from this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hcourts

Aquarium Advice FINatic
She has scraped her tail and it is too bad from the looks of this. I have been treating her for two days and it doesn't appear any better. I have my water in the freezer now for euthanasia. Is this the best choice here? I really don't want her to suffer.

image-2408067465.jpg

I am going to do I big (75%) water change but should I treat with melafix for three days just to be sure there is no bacteria and such left over from her?? None of the other fish show any spots or anything that could be fungus...and are all eating great

Don't give up yet! Fish are amazing what they can recover from, do you have a small treatment tank? If you do, put it in there, add aquarium salt (added picture of the 1 I use) and do daily part water changes with treated water ( the reason a treatment tank is better) and feed less to keep water quality pristine, give her time and there is a very good chance things will be fine :)

Shane87 said:
Don't give up yet! Fish are amazing what they can recover from, do you have a small treatment tank? If you do, put it in there, add aquarium salt (added picture of the 1 I use) and do daily part water changes with treated water ( the reason a treatment tank is better) and feed less to keep water quality pristine, give her time and there is a very good chance things will be fine :)

Forgot picture lol

Attachments

• image-567627484.jpg
    image-567627484.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 46
Yeah we have been rockin that but cories have issues with salt and she stopped eating already and can't swim well:(

Another thing I have done in the past is use half the dose of salt and methelyne blue ( can't remember spelling) but if she is having trouble swimming it maybe for the best to euthenize her :( its down to your judgement, if that is the best thing to I do I recommend putting her in a container an slowly adding clove oil, just make sure you leave it long enough. Sorry I can't help more.

Thanks for your help:( it was just too bad. I could see her bones or such:( I used the almost frozen ice method as I have no clove oil and cried the whole time:( I hate doing things like that:(

If she can't swim well and has stopped eating, I can see why you are considering putting her to sleep. IMO, the freezing water option will be just fine if that is the course you choose to take.
As for treatment, Melafix is pretty mild stuff, it won't touch any serious bacteria. I do not recommend treating the whole tank after you put her down (if that is what you choose). Their will always be bacteria present, the issue is not certain bacteria being there so much as it is a fish who was hurt and the wound got infected and a weakened immune system didn't help. The healthy fish should not have an issue.
From what I have read, cories usually seem to do with salt treatments. You could try that if you would like. Granted, some do indeed to react poorly, but my readings have indicated that it seems to work more often than not. You can always start with a half dose and see how it goes. Keep in mind that live plants don't always do well with salt.
Another option: a stronger antibiotic like Furan 2. Melafix is very weak, so many infections go untouched by it. Furan 2 treats both gram positive and gram negative infections. For that treatment though, I recommend you treat in a quarantine tank and not in the main tank.

EDIT: Well, you posted while I was typing.
Sorry about your loss. It sounds like the little guy was pretty bad off, so putting him down was probably your best option.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom