i dont understand!!! i lost a fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i had 2 small cichlids in a tank one was a demasoni and the other a calvis and the calvis is missing. i looked from every angle and moved some of the rock structure around and he is nowhere. there is no possible way that he could have gotten into the filter and i dont think he was eaten because it has only been 2 days since i have seen him. i would have atleast found bones or something right? i am completly at a loss here so any explanation would be welcome.

i just checked and he is not there!! he isnt anywhere and he isnt around the tank anywhere either. i am sooo cunfused :?

he must be gone i have fed 3 times since i noticed him gone and he hasnt comeout to eat yet. i dont have a cat so it wasnt that and the way the cover is it is only a small opening so i dont think he jumped out. i think he was tunneling under the lava rock i have in the tank and it caved in on him. i am going to be ripping down the tank soon to do a good cleaning so i hope i can find him to at least give him a little fishy funeral

hey alex....unlikely but i hope u find ur fish alive soon....if u find him but not alive ill come over for the fishy funeral....across the driveway isnt that long a walk.

Lost fish? hummm thats why i lowjack mine and give them all GPS that way they are never lost. Sorry had to inject a bit of sick humor in there. Sorry to hear about your loss, I know how much I hate it when I have lost a fish, they do grow on you even if they are recent.

What age is this calvus? If it is young it is pretty small and they do tend to find caves, etc., so my guess is he is hiding from the demasoni. I don't think this is a good match in terms of tankmates - calvus are shy eaters and sensitive to water conditions, and it is easy for the demasoni to dominate them, especially if this is a juvenile calvus.

If you can remove the demasoni to another tank then the calvus might come out, otherwise it could be stressed enough to become ill and die. They are very "slim" or laterally compressed fish and they can get into small crevices.

i just ripped the tank down and cleanded it out and put new sand in and when i was sifting through the old sand i came across chunks of him so i think i was right and he did get caught under a rock. i still have the other guy and he is doin great so i cant complaon. you win some you loose some.

Back
Top Bottom