I don't want him to suffer anymore- Please Help Quick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
right now im doing the heat treatment my dad said at 80*F it should go away in 7-10 days

my cories and my fry sho no signs of ICH whatsoever

>.< Sweet heart..Raise the temp up more! it will continue to spread... slowly raise it though and try to figure out a way so that when it gets to 84 you raise it higher a little faster cause they reproduce really fast at 84.. X.x

Hello Rudy,
Hi. Sorry your tank has ich. I just got rid of it in my tank, hopefully. The temp of my water is at 86 right now.

With your temp at 79 degrees the ich spots will stay on your fish longer. At least it did on mine. If you raise it to 86 it will speed up their life cyle, they will fall off of your fish sooner, and the high temp will kill them. Also, you should add salt to the water. This kills them as well. If you raise your temp to 86 and add salt, you should get rid of it pretty quickly.

I noticed that after two to three days of the high temp the spots fall off, but beware, they reproduce and multiply into free swimming thingys until they find another host to feed on. This is why you want to keep the temperature raised for 10 days at least.

Oh, and raise it gradually. No more than two degrees per day I think. You may be able to do it faster than that. Wait until someone advanced chimes in because i am still a newbie, but have dealt with a lot of ich. I didn't raise it more that two degrees every 12 or more hours. When i woke up at 7am I would raise it two and then around 11pm or so I would raise it another 2. Again though, I'm new.

Also, i forgot how much salt you are supposed to add. I had it written down on a paper that my three year old used to draw a whale on. Someone else will know though. Ummm, let's see what else? Oh, there is medication that you can use, but some say it kills your good bacteria. Try the salt and high temp first and see what happens. Good luck! Now go and raise that temp. :wink:
littletank

Rach 101. It's weird, i was just singing that song that's in your quote, "Creep", when i got onto the internet to check my e-mails. I think i heard it on the radio today. I mean i must have since i was singing it before i saw your quote. Well, that's all. Just thought it was weird.
littletank :roll:

ps:
My heater is set at 86 degrees but the thermometer reads 84. Which do you think is broken? The heater or the thermometer? I don't want to fry my fish but i also don't want the ich spreading like mad if the water is at 84. 8O

Such a lovely song.. If your heater is still going the temp probably fluctuated.. Or the thermometer isnt accurate.. i had a stick on that said that, but turned out it was 86 when it said 84. I found that my heater couldnt maintain the temp of 86 on its own so i wrapped a shawl around it.

im screwed all my fish will die and it isnt my fault!!!!!

well when or if they die at least the ich will die along with them!

Noo nooo. They won't die. It's not too late. Just raise that temp. The fry will probably be fine. I'm figuring that high heat is probably easier on them than meds. I mean Mollie's come from South America I think. I may be wrong, but they are Tropical. It's hot in the tropics! They'll do just fine in the heat, but the ich won't. That's the goal. Don't fret. You can kill that ich without the fish even noticing.

I've been through three or four rounds of ich. I've made lots of mistakes. But, I've learned that if you are going to do the heat and salt thing, you have to raise it to 86, no less. Don't resort to meds yet. One thing at a time. We'll talk about meds later if we have to. Just keep us posted to let us know how it's going. Oh, I'm looking up the salt amount to add. I know that Mollies like a little salt, but I'm not sure about Corycats with salt. I'll find it somewhere.
littletank

Okay, I found out about salt. I read that you add 1 TABLEspoon for every 5 gallons. So, you should add about 6 TABLEspoons. Make sure that you dissolve it in a cup of your aquarium's water before pouring it into the tank. Oh, and use aquarium salt of course. You can get it at Wal-Mart. I'm just mentioning that because it's open at all hours. Not sure where you are but it's late here. :sleeping:

Umm. Didn't find out about corycats and salt and i don't know what a hatchet is. All i know is that snails don't mix well with salt, so if you've got any applesnails, take them out. I'm pretty sure that most fish can take salt in order to be rid of ich. Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

Oh, did anyone tell you whether you could raise your temp higher than two degrees every 12 hours? I hope that you can. Otherwise, it'll be a while before you get it to 86.
littletank

I have heard people say they have raised temp as quickly as 1 degree per hour--never had to do heat treatment myself so this is secondhand knowledge--but even if you want to be cautious, I would think you could raise it a degree every few hours.

And littletank, if there is a discrepancy between your heater and thermometer, I would trust the thermometer, as they are designed to give more accurate readings than the thermostat on a heater. Just my suspicion. And as you said, the last thing you want is your water temp at 84*F. 8O

table spoon thats alot of salt.. I only used tsps and i was fine. ofcourse some people told me to use one handfull of salt... so yeah.. Just to be on the safe side i would use tsps..
1 TABLEspoon for every 5 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom