I gambled and won... ICH :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enki

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm a born again newbie, learning all kinds of lessons, again. :oops:

I KNOW I should have a QT, but I succumbed to temptation. Danios a couple weeks ago, and Yo-Yo Loaches just this weekend.

I noticed a little flashing before the yoyos came, but in the last two days the flashing has increased noticeably. Tonight during some fish time, I noticed 1 translucent pimple just above and behind the gill on my second largest Ngara. I haven't seen ich in a couple decades, but I am pretty sure that's what I saw tonight. :mad: One spot is enough for me!

Wherever it came from, I am already working to kill it. Those protozoa are going down! :uzi:

I am increasing the temp in the tank as we speak, gonna start water changes every other day, increase salt levels with those.

Well, thanks. Had to vent to folks who would empathise.

BTW I am adding to my resolutions! NO new fish 'til I have a QT!

"BTW I am adding to my resolutions! NO new fish 'til I have a QT!"

I know the feeling! The last fish I bought were my Rams which brought in Ich AND Anchorworms. I got rid of the Ich fine, the Anchworms killed a Guppy then went away after I dosed the tank with Maracide.

I might get some male Fancy Guppies from my father this weekend. He has been raising two batches of fry in a grow out tank and they are just now getting to show their full colors. They should be pretty free of sickness, but I am so paranoid about getting my fish sick again I might not bother.

Update: Temp is up to 88f, and a salt solution is slowly being added to bring up salinity.

I took some tankwater and dissolved the whole amount of salt I wanted into that. Now that tankwater is being dripped back into the tank with some airline tubing. I figure this would create a slow steady rise in salt level.

I moved my powerhead from its normal hidden position to an exposed spot that creates massive surface disturbance. The venturi valve on the rio powerhead wont work for me (common trouble with rios I hear) so I kicked down 6 bucks for a tiny airpump to shoot bubbles into the powerhead's output. It may be overkill but I feel better :D I have no worries about the O2 levels now.

Everybody is SUPER energetic with the temp up! They all seem fine, just sort of hyperactive. The one white spot is still there.

My QT is coming tomorrow, only it has fish in it right now. But that is another story for another thread.

Today's update: Temp is steady at 88f salt levels are up to about 2 teaspoons/gallon. not sure what that is in ppm. Everybody is still acting fine, energy level is high, no gasping or other signs of low oxygen. Aggression levels are up, but ok so far. I have been doing water changes and have nitrates down to almost nothing.

Things are not all good though, the one Ngara still has the white ich looking lump on the side of her head. Additionally, as I was inspecting her and the other fishes, I noticed a white patch on the opposite side of her head, in almost the same spot. The patch is whitish, and not quite fuzzy looking. It is either fungus or velvet. AAGH! I also noticed what might be more spots of fungus/velvet on a couple other fish. Hard to tell though, they are not very cooperative for close inspection.

SO...tank lights are off for now, and I am putting up some blackout curtains this evening to cut down ambient light in the fish room, in case it is velvet. I also picked up a bottle of Melafix. I have read it is really good for fungus, helps cut down on opportunistic bacterial infections and seems to have a good effect on ich and velvet as well.

Wish me luck and maybe send some healthy fish vibes this way :D

Back
Top Bottom