I gots the Ich >.<

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is what I'd do: return the fish, buy some ammonia and finish the cycle. As far as I see it there is no point starting the whole cycle over. Just turn the temperature up to 32*C and it will kill the ich during the cycling process. Ich will be gone in two weeks. That way no meds and no chemicals.

Good to heed the advice given here- but I would suggest not cutting corners. If one fish has ich, then all "have it" even if they don't show signs. In reality, ich spores are common- but healthy, unstressed fish typically don't "come down" with it.

So- I you have fish in a tank- and some show it, they all are "contaminated". Assume they all have ich.

Raising the temp is the most effective and consistent treatment. The addition of some salt can help (personally I believe this is due to the slime coat being stimulated).

As far as the cycle is concerned- Ammonia is bad at any detectable level (with a good test kit). Anything above .25 (1/4 of a part per million) begins stressing fish. It is the inconsistent and spiking levels of ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites that cause huge stress to fish- and it often leads to many fatal conditions, including ich.

Yes, that's what I suggested. If he rehomes the fish and uses pure ammonia to do a fishless cycle he'd cycle the tank and get rid of the Ich b/c the Ich needs a host. I think at least 3-4 weeks without a host should be enough time to kill it.

How would I safely "re-home the fish?" Reason I'm asking is that I've gotten attached to my little buddies, I've had em just about a month now :)

The most important thing to remember in fishkeeping is this...... it's not about you, it's about the fish. It's a lesson we all had to learn. You need to do what's right for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom