I Have Some Bad News...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, 'Dude...

Okay, here's yet another update: I am on the third day of Seachem Stability in the 60 gallon, and the water has gotten horrendously cloudy, which I understand is normal as the bacteria attempts to take hold. We also began some aquascaping via three tall plants we placed in the back left corner of the tank, hiding the Aqueon HOB's intake stem, but decorating the remainder of the space is going to be very challenging given the theming differences between me and my wife -- I want to go with the natural approach via log and rock caves, while she wants to do the Asian theme because we're going to attempt goldfish again, so this would involve chintzy, cheesy decorations like the "Chinese temples" and such...I also don't know how, honestly, to get that "lush, built-up-with-lots-of-plants" look you see on many show tanks along with the log pieces and rock formations or where to put them in the tank to create a natural, pleasing effect...

We also picked up the foam sponge block insert as well as the BioMax ceramic rings for the AquaClear 110, so now that filter is up and running alongside the Aqueon, but here's the thing: When I first opened the 110, Hagen included a sponge, carbon packs and the ceramic bio-rings, and the rings themselves were giant and supposed to be placed in the included net bag/sack also in the box with the filter. When I got these "replacement" BioMax rings home, things were totally different -- though the box said these were made for the 110 HOB model, the rings were now VERY small and in two separate, pre-packed media bags...unlike the large rings that came with the filter itself. So now, I had to lay the two small bags of BioMax side by side on top of the sponge, but I am wondering if anyone knows if this is normal or not with Hagen's replacement media for the AquaClears...

The cloudy water is a common occurrence in cycling tanks. You should test your water and post the results, just to be safe. Have you tested yet? If so, what were the results?

Maybe you could do a compromise with the aquascaping--do a natural theme with a Chinese decoration or two in the middle of the tank?

I'm not sure about the replacement biomedia, it should be fine, though.
Also, despite what the manufacturers say, don't change out the filter media--unless literally falling apart.

The cloudy water is a common occurrence in cycling tanks. You should test your water and post the results, just to be safe. Have you tested yet? If so, what were the results?

I will run the API tests and report back -- thanks.

Maybe you could do a compromise with the aquascaping--do a natural theme with a Chinese decoration or two in the middle of the tank?

Yes -- I was thinking that too, but I honestly wanted the pieces of log as the centerpiece of the tank; however, the Chinese temples may work there too...any ideas you may think of additionally please fire away...:thanks:

I'm not sure about the replacement biomedia, it should be fine, though.
Also, despite what the manufacturers say, don't change out the filter media--unless literally falling apart.

HERE is what I purchased as "replacement" media for the AquaClear 110 HOB:

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A1374-A...40747500&sr=1-1&keywords=aquaclear+110+biomax

And yes, I am aware that I shouldn't throw away or replace the filter media, especially with media like Hagen's sponge blocks or ceramic rings -- the only reason I am getting replacement media for these filters is because there was a bacterial infection in the last setup, and I wanted ALL media inserts to get tossed out. They were just downright disgusting.

With regard to the cartridges (carbon) for the Aqueon filter, though, I was under the assumption these could be tossed out after about a month or so of use as they get gross with brown muck, and most of the BB is living in those so-called blue "bio-holsters" that the cartridges sit in, so there's no real risk of losing bacteria in the pads themselves...

ArtesiaWells said:
I will run the API tests and report back -- thanks.
Ok sounds good.

ArtesiaWells said:
Yes -- I was thinking that too, but I honestly wanted the pieces of log as the centerpiece of the tank; however, the Chinese temples may work there too...any ideas you may think of additionally please fire away...:thanks:
Hmmm..... I'm not sure, really.

ArtesiaWells said:
HERE is what I purchased as "replacement" media for the AquaClear 110 HOB:

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A1374-Aquaclear-110-Gallon-Biomax/dp/B000A7BCGO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1340747500&sr=1-1&keywords=aquaclear+110+biomax

And yes, I am aware that I shouldn't throw away or replace the filter media, especially with media like Hagen's sponge blocks or ceramic rings -- the only reason I am getting replacement media for these filters is because there was a bacterial infection in the last setup, and I wanted ALL media inserts to get tossed out. They were just downright disgusting.
Yeah, that biomedia should work. It doesn't look much different than the kind in my AquaClear 110.

ArtesiaWells said:
With regard to the cartridges (carbon) for the Aqueon filter, though, I was under the assumption these could be tossed out after about a month or so of use as they get gross with brown muck, and most of the BB is living in those so-called blue "bio-holsters" that the cartridges sit in, so there's no real risk of losing bacteria in the pads themselves...
IMO the carbon is kinda useless, unless for removing medications and other chemicals from the water.

Ok sounds good.

Please see my results posted in the General Freshwater section...:)

Yeah, that biomedia should work. It doesn't look much different than the kind in my AquaClear 110.

Here's the thing -- are you running the Biomax rings that came with the filter when you first open it? If so, those are the large rings that you place in the net bag/sack -- I was running those as well, but these "replacement" rings now come in two separate mesh pre-packaged bags (like Seachem's Purigen) and the rings are MUCH smaller than the ones that come in the box with the filter...

I don't know why, but Hagen makes these different when you buy them as a separate "replacement" insert...

IMO the carbon is kinda useless, unless for removing medications and other chemicals from the water.

That's the general concensus in every forum and amongst nearly every hobbyist -- I just run the cartridges because that's what fits these Aqueons; I have the AquaClear 110 as a supplemental filter...

ArtesiaWells said:
Please see my results posted in the General Freshwater section...:)
I saw your thread. The members that are helping you are highly respected and knowledgeable. They'll help you with your cycle and do their best to answer any question that you have.

ArtesiaWells said:
Here's the thing -- are you running the Biomax rings that came with the filter when you first open it? If so, those are the large rings that you place in the net bag/sack -- I was running those as well, but these "replacement" rings now come in two separate mesh pre-packaged bags (like Seachem's Purigen) and the rings are MUCH smaller than the ones that come in the box with the filter...

I don't know why, but Hagen makes these different when you buy them as a separate "replacement" insert...
I am using the biomedia that came in the box with the filter, but yours should work the same, if not better. Because its smaller, there is even more surface area for BB to live on.

ArtesiaWells said:
That's the general concensus in every forum and amongst nearly every hobbyist -- I just run the cartridges because that's what fits these Aqueons; I have the AquaClear 110 as a supplemental filter...
Ok sounds good. I hope your fish do well!
:D
-Fishdude25

Back
Top Bottom