I have some worms...what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huffdaddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I have been trying to rid myself of a persistent algae problem in my 10 gal tank with 2 tetras. After trying to rid myself of it with additives I decided to just remove the tetras to a small holding tank for a few days and cover the tank from light to kill it off. After having the tank out of the light for 5 days, I removed the cover tonight to find worms swimming around. Some of these were quite large, almost a half inch long and were swimming around the top of the tank. Others were quite small and were around the bottom of the tank. Now that the light is back, they appear to have retreated to the substrate again, because I don't see them anymore.

Anyone have any idea what they might be, if they are detrimental to the fish, and if they are related to the algae problem (which is not dead apparently, its still there and quite green).

Many thanks,

Alan

As long as the worms aren't on or in the fish, they are probably just there from an excess of nutrients. Try cutting back the amount you are feeding and they will disappear over time.

I assume you weren't feeding the tank at all with the fish removed? I'm not sure what kind of worms they would be then, but am sure they have nothing to do with the algae. Can you get any pics?

Back
Top Bottom