I just dont get it anymore (missing fins)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evox45

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, this is my first post here and I hope its not too painful. I have searched the internet looking for my problem but cannot find a solution. Heres the story, I built a plywood tank around 1 year ago, I lined it with liquid rubber and so far its been awesome, no leaks no problems. After 2 months of cycling just to be safe I added my discus and cherry barbs. Since that time I have acquired more fish including a rope fish, a guinean bichir, black knife ghost fish, bristle nose plecos, and some clown loaches. I have been told by some of the people in my aquarium club all these fish are pretty gentle and should not be an issue. Now to the problem. Since day one of putting these fish in the tank they have slowly started loosing fins (almost like fin rot) but I just cant put my finger on it. For example, my cherry barbs have had hardly any fins for 6 months now, its not killing them and they are happily eating and it never seems to get worse or better. The discus look decent, of course the biggest of them all has the best looking fins and I understand that there can be a pecking order. The rest are good but not great. The guinean bichir looks amazing as does the rope fish. Now this is where it gets confusing to me, the clown loaches are the newest fish in the tank, I bought 3 and they have been in the tank for around 2 weeks now, 2 of them look flawless while one is loosing his fins. Has anyone ever seen this, im beginning to think its the tank but I cant understand why? Any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance.

tests are as follows:
PH - 8
Ammonia - 0-.25 ppm (cant really tell but lets just go with .25)
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 20 ppm

Well what are your water conditions, and how often do you do water changes and what filtration are u running etc

Sent from my fish tank

Ill do a water test right now. Its a 250 gallon and i do roughly a 25% water change per week. filtration is a fx5 and a 20 gallon sump (DIY overflow. basically just for surface skimming).

I can't speak about Discus, but Cherries tend to be less nippy than other barbs, however you may have gotten a bad batch.

Your other fish aren't that nippy. Bichir tend to be eaters not nippers. I think it could possibly be your knife, but I doubt it.

Actually the knife has a pretty good chunk out of him as well, I think him and the rope fish got into it. But they seem to be buddys now. The hang out in a cave all day, Ive literally seen him 2x since Ive had him...

tests are as follow:
PH - 8
Ammonia - 0-.25 ppm (cant really tell but lets just go with .25)
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 20 ppm

Here are some pictures of the tank if anyone cares. Fish Help - Imgur

Last edited by a moderator:
8 is a little high for a majority of your fish. Perhaps the high pH is causing fin melt?

I first searched to see if pH can cause fin rot, and stumbled upon this. Hope it helps..

high PH causing fin rot??

Look at Starfishes quote if you don't want to read the whole thing. This happened in bettas, but I can see it happening in other fish as well.

Thanks for the advice! What's the best way to lower the ph in a large aquarium for a decent price?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's possible, I'll keep an eye on it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dont take any of this in an insulting manner, i can only tell by my own experiences. I wouldn't include most of those fish with my discus, for multiple reasons. But i had a small ghost knife fish, and it nipped at/killed all of my fish that were in the tank with it. But generally, the ph is too high for discus, (although ive heard weirder things) Mines around 6.5. Best way to lower it? Slowly, Not drastically. I use kent ph minus and drift wood. Discus are also intolerable of high nitrate/any ammonia so bigger water changes may be needed.

You can put Peat Moss in the filter.

Use a specialty substrate $$

In my small tanks I use part Distilled/part Tap for water changes to lower TDS and PH if needed.

I don't boil my driftwood, I let tannins leach out naturally.

Chemicals are a last resort for me. As they can cause your pH levels to bounce up-and-down which are not good for the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Jessiica, I actually get my discus from a breeder that breeds them in tap water. I have had discus that have not been temperamental to the water in my area. The odd thing is my ph used to be lower in my smaller tanks... Possibly the size of this tank makes it harder to maintain? I Usually do 25% water changes every week. As for the ghost knife he doesnt seem to bug the discus as none of the fins seem to be getting worse but also not much better. I feel like the discus peck at each other more than the other fish do. I could be wrong but from what ive seen most of the other fish stick to the bottom and the discus stick to mid or top level of water. I have quite a bit of drift wood maybe I should do peat?

Coursair, Can one just use peat found at a garden center as the tank is 240 gallons and buying pet store stuff would break me. I believe the brand i have is sunshine brand.

Try to get Ammonia down to Zero.
I would up the amount of water you are changing ? I do 50%

Are you making sure the knife fish is getting food ? I used to target feed ours with a turkey baster.

Peat Moss ? I haven't used it. I would research that. I Googled : Peat Moss to lower PH in aquarium and lots of results came up.

There has to be a natural way to keep the tank ph lower. Driftwood, i know certain rocks lower ph. My tap water is 7.0 so i don't need to lower mine too much:/ i have a 125 with discus as well and use driftwood and kent to keep the ph down.

A 50% water change per week would get pretty expensive. Ive never changed more than 25% on any of my aquariums other than if im combating a disease or something. Might be worth a try though.

Well many Discus people do major water changes for pristine water and best Health and growth of Discus.

Planted tank people usually do large water changes as well to reduce excess nutrients and then redose the ferts. It helps keep down algae as well.

If you were showing ammonia between water changes you need to up your water changes or increase filtration or something else. Discus do not like ammonia.

I'd be curious what your TDS is in your tank as well. TDS are Total Dissolved Solids. My Shrimp need low TDS. No idea if it affects fish.

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/index.shtml
This is my go to site for Discus info.

I would leave your PH alone, unless you plan to breed. Then getting an RO/DI unit would be best in the long run IMHO.
http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/water_chemistry/general/ph_nochange.shtml

I wouldn't jump to change 50% of the water weekly just because thats a huge tank. The 125 we do i want to say 30% wc every other day. The 55 i do at least 50-75% every other/every day. I also have juveniles though, although it is good for their overall growth. I guess im not sure what the best way to maintain that big of a tanks water. But you need to do so in a way that eliminates all ammonia, and leaves nitrates low for the discus' health.I agree with the post above, maybe the ph is fine. If who sold you them kept them in high ph tap water, than they should be used to it i'd guess.

Back
Top Bottom