I just knocked out my tiger barb!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GlitcH

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just went to dose an old 90G tank I have in the basement with excel.
Figuring it might negatively affect the insane algae problem I've got in there.

I should have fed the fish on one side then dosed the excel on the other cuz as soon as I lifted the cover and dosed,
my barbs, thinking I was feeding, went right for the excel hitting the surface.....and one of the barbs must have swallowed some or something.
Cuz he instantly went belly up......he was floating for a few mins not moving at all.. He looked dead.......I thought I was gonna have to scoop him out.

I watched him for a while.....he was breathing the whole time.
And in about 10mins he recovered fully.

Anyone else have that happen?

can't say that I have lol I wouldn't think it would hurt them considering it would have to pass through there system at one point, glad to hear he's ok though, sure is crazy lol

GlitcH said:
Anyone else have that happen?

Nope.... but thats hilarious! (only because he lived).

I can picture it.... I think thats why its funny :lol:

Glad to see he lived!
Barbs are nuts!

If you have a HOB filter, is it possible to add the stuff where the water drops off in to the tank? Maybe that would prevent the confusion.

I don't know what kind of filter you have, or if there's any place else you might be able to sneak the solution in without it being mistaken for food.

I was reading about Flourish Excel at another site and people were saying that this stuff kills hair algae, but Seachem does not sell this fertalizer as an algaecide. I'm thinking of dropping Leaf Zone and switching to this stuff.

From Seachem's Website:

Q: I read in a plant book by Pablo Tepoot about a product by you called Health Guard. Is it safe to use with Plants & fish to control algae. Could you help me in find somthing that works.
A: There is a comparable product to Health Guard in our freshwater planted line called Flourish Excel. Like Health Guard, this product is not sold as an algaecide.

I did some reading on Seachem's website. It seems that Excel contains a form of glutaraldehyde. I've worked with concentrated glutaraldehyde in the lab - it smells like rotting pumpkins and really takes your breath away.

I suspect this is what happened to your barb when he swam into the cloud of Excel. There shouldn't be any long term damage. All of my fish at one time or another swam into a plume of dechlor as I was adding it to the tank. They eventually learned to avoid it.

My tigers STILL head right for the excel when i dose my tank when I don't do it by the filter.

Tiger barbs will attack anything they think might be food or fun to chase. I've seen them jump up and hit thier heads on the top of my glass hood before..but I can't say I've seen one get knocked out....

poor guy.

Well good luck. And I do my best to dose via the HOB filter outlet.

They're nuts! Mine keep attacking my arm every time I clean the tank. I'll try the Excel method the next time I have to do a PWC!!!
:)

Elmware2000 said:
If you have a HOB filter, is it possible to add the stuff where the water drops off in to the tank? Maybe that would prevent the confusion.

I don't know what kind of filter you have, or if there's any place else you might be able to sneak the solution in without it being mistaken for food.

I was reading about Flourish Excel at another site and people were saying that this stuff kills hair algae, but Seachem does not sell this fertalizer as an algaecide. I'm thinking of dropping Leaf Zone and switching to this stuff.

No HOB.....I'm running a canister.
I think next time I will dilute it a bit so this don't happen again.

I can tell ya that I've been using it on my 29G now for over a month and the growth is impressive.....not to mention......no visible algae.
BUT.....my two otos are quite fat.

Big C said:
They're nuts! Mine keep attacking my arm every time I clean the tank. I'll try the Excel method the next time I have to do a PWC!!!
:lol: LOL!!!

GlitcH said:
No HOB.....I'm running a canister.
I think next time I will dilute it a bit so this don't happen again.
That sounds like a good idea as well.

Anytime I add powder or liquid reagents (I used to use Flourish until I got dry CSM+B), I first dilute the substance/liquid into a large plastic cup of tank water. Then I slowly pour out the mixture around the tank (I have a HOB so normally aim for this), but the point is to have it dilute prior to adding it to the tank.

If you happen to be there for a couple of minutes (instead of just quickly feeding and dumping the Excel in), put in 1/4 or 1/2 of the cup and wait a couple minutes then add the rest.

Back
Top Bottom