I lost my sucky thing!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewFishKeeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone! :D

I've had a bit of a nightmare this evening, today I bought a baby catfish, believed to be a Brittlenose, but unsure at this early stage, as she's only 1" long.

I have a Juwel Vision 180 tank, with the internal Compact H filter and heater.

Somehow she managed to wiggle her way into the heater part of the filter, so I have had all the filter pads, the pump the heater and the divider out to TRY and fish her out with a net. It took about twenty minutes, but eventually managed to catch her. I feel like a really bad mother!!! :twisted:

I am looking for advice on how to fish proof my filter without impeding the flow etc...

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance

G&F

I had sort of this problem a while back with some fry getting sucked into my HOB filter.... I just got some nylons, stretched them out over the intake tube, and rubberbanded it on. I don't know if it'll work for you, but it worked for me :wink:

The theory is good, but because of the way the filter is wedged in the corner and suckered on, you wouldn't be able to get the elastic band around the filter.

Any other ideas???? :?:

I can't get anything behind the filter block at all, because of the silicone in the corners, obviously don't want to damage that, and wind up with a leaking tank!!!

I don't see how you are going to keep the fish out of there if it wants to go. I had a similar situation with some tetras that would consistently get wedged behind my Hagen CO2 ladder diffuser. I had to take it out to free the fish.

The only thing I can suggest is to utilize a tank divider temporarily until the fish gets enough size on him that he won't fit. You could try getting very straight-sided pieces of slate and propping them against it, but there would probably be a way for the fish to squeeze in if it is determined.

Otherwise, return the fish and purchase a larger one is the only other solution I can think of.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom