I’m a worrier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Esimolin24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is this normal behavior? My Rasboras will sometimes go under the artificial leaf and sort of flip upside down for a moment before carrying on, then coming back a moment later. My mom suggested perhaps they’re itching themselves. It freaked me out the first couple times they did it. Another thing I note is they will only to it to that one particular leaf. Not the purple one right next to it.

Here’s a video of them doing exactly that. Please ignore my male Guppy who likes to be the star of the show. :hide:

Update: I was wrong. They were mating and I now have about a dozen eggs!

Awesome!!! Did you remove the eggs?

No.... I don’t know how to and I don’t want to damage the eggs. Any advice? I do have a mesh fry net with guppy fry right now, so I suppose I could put them In there. I just don’t know how to move them.

I'll start by saying I do not breed fish or attempt to. I do know that fish commonly eat eggs and even fry once they are free swimming and extremely small.

It would depend on the mesh. Will it hold eggs? Is it located in your main tank? I'd cut the leaf off to obtain the eggs.

I knew a guy who used to breed several different types of small schooling fish. He would use Mason type jars with the screw on lids. He would place several plants and moss in the jar, add tank water, add the eggs, and close the lid on the jar. He'd keep the water about an inch or two below the top of the jar so it floated in the tank. He'd leave it for a week or so until the fry hatched. Then he'd move them to a small 5g QT tank and feed them crushed up flake food....maybe even brine shrimp??

The idea was that the plants he'd put in the jar contained microorganisms that the fry could feed off of during the first week to week and a half. It also provided cover from light.

This is probably the rough draft of what I saw him doing and why but it seemed to work for him. There's guys on here that are proficient breeders who could give really good advice.

I'll start by saying I do not breed fish or attempt to. I do know that fish commonly eat eggs and even fry once they are free swimming and extremely small.

It would depend on the mesh. Will it hold eggs? Is it located in your main tank? I'd cut the leaf off to obtain the eggs.

I knew a guy who used to breed several different types of small schooling fish. He would use Mason type jars with the screw on lids. He would place several plants and moss in the jar, add tank water, add the eggs, and close the lid on the jar. He'd keep the water about an inch or two below the top of the jar so it floated in the tank. He'd leave it for a week or so until the fry hatched. Then he'd move them to a small 5g QT tank and feed them crushed up flake food....maybe even brine shrimp??

The idea was that the plants he'd put in the jar contained microorganisms that the fry could feed off of during the first week to week and a half. It also provided cover from light.

This is probably the rough draft of what I saw him doing and why but it seemed to work for him. There's guys on here that are proficient breeders who could give really good advice.

Thanks for letting me know. I went down to my LFS and they said just to leave the eggs where they are. It’s on an artificial plant so cutting it off wouldn’t work. Oh well, it’s not like I planned to breed them anyway

Back
Top Bottom