I’m not sure what these are can anyone help??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LilAquaMomma

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About 2 or 3 months ago I noticed short little white strings wriggling in my goldfish’s 10 gallon tank. I observed them for a while but because of there size they were hard to see in the water. She seemed unaffected by them. She went on with her normal fish activity. Of course I monitored them well but they seemed to disappear overtime, or so I thought.
I clean her tank every other week and refill if it’s needed. So I was really suprised when these things showed up.
Today she acted as if something was wrong and erratically swam in and out of the filter bubbles. I decided to pull out a microscope a friend had lent me and look at her water and I found this.
Warning it’s kind of gross so you may be repulsed but I took videos of the creatures in her tank. But I suppose we can only post photos.
-Outside of tanks/onslide
IMG_0742.jpg
-Under microscope red lense
IMG_0747.jpg
IMG_0746.jpg

It seems to grab things with the barbs on it’s side and moves like a parasite. But I’m unsure of what it is. Can anyone help??
Fish Type:Goldfish (By herself)
Tank Size: 10 Gallon (Its changed a lot but she was the smaller baby fish and we plan to change her tank soon)
Filtration: Aqueon Medium sized hangover filter
Tank Levels: Were safe before these things multiplied over her tank, I’m not sure now

Hello Mom...

There are small, fresh water flat worms that grow in tanks called Planaria. If you're keeping an extremely clean tank, with lots of large, frequent water changes, you have little to worry about. Pathogens and parasites exist in most tanks, but healthy fish in pure water conditions aren't likely to be infected. Again, maintain a clean tank and your fish will be fine.

B

Thank you, this is really helpful. I’m doing my best to maintain her at a happy healthy state

Hello! I think they may be detritus worms. I had these. They are indicative of poor husbandry. A goldfish in a 10 gallons seems to me too small tank, especially if you do as you say and clean the tank every other week only. How much water do you change at a time? Do you vacuum the gravel or is it bare bottom? When I had them I increased the frequency of water changes to every 5 days and gravel vacuum and got rid of them in 1 week. I hope it helps!

Hello! I think they may be detritus worms. I had these. They are indicative of poor husbandry. A goldfish in a 10 gallons seems to me too small tank, especially if you do as you say and clean the tank every other week only. How much water do you change at a time? Do you vacuum the gravel or is it bare bottom? When I had them I increased the frequency of water changes to every 5 days and gravel vacuum and got rid of them in 1 week. I hope it helps!

Thank you so much for the helpful inquiry! I’ve been cleaning and changing her water and there is a great improvement in her attitude, color/scales, and just tank in general. She has been put in a bare bottom however, she will be getting new plants put in with her!~
Thank you so much for this. My fish means a lot and this really helped

Back
Top Bottom