I made a big mistake and im so upset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motherspice

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a goldie and it looked fine but now 10 days later it died and my other 2 are sick, I thought it was ick so started treating it with Ick clear, but 2 days later they looked worse, so went and got quick cure, and started it last night raising temp to 79, and was told by my LPS that I should add Maracyn 2 also as it might not be ick, and just incase its not it would help and they would work together, now im not so sure so im asking you please dont yell or jump on me I am upset enough please help,
Sad_310.gif
it started to look like ick but now the tail are kind of getting raggy, so hubby thinks its fin rot
water is a. .50 no clue why it was 0 yesterday, ni.0 na10 ph 7.6
gonna try and add some pics they are not the best but its the only camera I have
icon_redface.gif

Attachments

• sick goldies 003.jpg
    sick goldies 003.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 76
  • sick goldies 004.jpg
    sick goldies 004.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 70
  • sick goldies 005.jpg
    sick goldies 005.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 76
  • sick goldies 006.jpg
    sick goldies 006.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 80
I can't see the details well enough on the pics to really tell you what is going on. Yes, the tail is a bit ragged, but this can be secondary to whatever is ailing the fish. With their long fins, any kind of stress can cause frayed fins in goldies, and you need to treat the underlying disease.

Much more info & detective work is needed.
1. Did you QT the new fish?
2. What symptoms did the dead fish have before it died?
3. Did you do an autopsy, or at least a close inspection of the body to try to find out the cause of death?
4. The current sick fish, how are they behaving? Activity level, eating, pooping, fin attitude <ie are they holding their fins out normally>, respiratory rate, are they gasping at the surface ... etc.
5. Any thing else apart from the split fins? spots, dots, raised scales, swollen tummies, etc.

In cases like this, the first rule is: Make sure the water is clean. The presence of ammonia is not good. It may be from something decaying, or possibly the biofilter dying from the maracyn. It is important to do lots of water changes to keep all parameters in check. I would try to maintain 0/0/0 at all time when dealing with sick fish ... and would do up to 100% water changes daily to keep it there. <Of coures, you will need to match water parameters, temp, etc. with big pwc's.>

I would not have used Maracyn with goldfish .... mainly because most bacteria are resistent, and using antibiotics in the water risk killing off the biofilter & getting you into more trouble. If you have to use anti-biotics, it is much better feeding it to the fish.

Personally, I would lay off the meds unless I have a reason to use it ... ie use the ich meds only if you see ich ... etc. Clean water will cure most minor ailments, and salt will take care of the majority of the rest. I use meds only if I have a pretty good idea of what I am treating, & I use the best one for the job.

i personally dont see anything on those fish that reminds me of ich.. unless you see small white spots.. ich is completely out of the question.

I also would stop meds and just change the water 2-3x per day (30% -40% ea time) I know it's a pain but this simple fix can cure most ailments.

Best of luck to you.

What I have always read is donot start medicine until you have watched them closely.. Everyday I observe my betta to see if there are any changes in his behavior or his skin..

Back
Top Bottom