I might lose my baby :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr_girlfriend

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well its been a very long very hard fight, but I'm fearing I might be near the end. I've done all I can think of for this fish, and when one thing resolves, another takes its place.
I thought geting rid of the ulcers would cure her and she go back to being healthy, but as soon as the ulcers started to heal a fungus/mold started to grow on the healing wounds. She also got pitting all over her body. Now shes sitting at the bottom of the tank heavily breathing, one half of her gills beet red. Shes eaten one food stick in 3 weeks, and is pale and noticebly weak.
I'm still trying with her, but I'm starting to lose hope. I dont think this fish has any immunity left at all. I wish more vets treated fish, theres only 3 that I know of in the country and none are anywhere near me. I met someone at a a society meeting who said she knew someone who could help, but havent heard back from her in a week.
So I guess I'm stuck waiting to see how much longer she'll hold on, or if maybe by some sheer luck, she'll finally heal up and get on with life. You can see in the pic below how bad she looks. Poor thing.

Attachments

• close2.jpg
    close2.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 85
  • close_136.jpg
    close_136.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 100
im sorry to hear about this. What type of fish is she?
You can try some fungus treatment or bacterial treatment. Melafix is great stuff

unfortunately some people overuse medications which causes a fish to lose its immunity and have a ton of secondairy infectoins.. all you can do at this point is use more medications, but ifyouve already used meds, this infection is probably a superinfection and immune to any meds you can give.

unfortunately some people overuse medications which causes a fish to lose its immunity and have a ton of secondairy infectoins
well I didnt do that, but thanks anyway....
believe it or not I'm not a newb and actually have training in medicine so I know how to use medication whether its a fish or a human.

sorry to hear this dr. i know you did your best. but sometimes, even the best is not enough. you might just have to let it go.

I might lose my baby

for a second i thought you were talking about a human baby.

however, that is very unfortunate to hear. it's very diffucult to watch helplessly as a pet deteriorates. have you contacted a local vet? i think some will see fish. fish are animals too.

dr_girlfriend said:
unfortunately some people overuse medications which causes a fish to lose its immunity and have a ton of secondairy infectoins
well I didnt do that, but thanks anyway....
believe it or not I'm not a newb and actually have training in medicine so I know how to use medication whether its a fish or a human.

i didn't mean to imply that you did this.. but even doctors do this... i used to get sick all the time in high school and my aunt just kept taking me to the doctor, taking me to the doctor, and it was always like a sore throught, sinus infection.. and they always put me on antibiotics.. when i finally moved out of the house i got really sick but I let my body fight it and i was better in 2 weeks, since then my immune system has strengthened and now i only get sick about once a year and i only take antibiotics if it doesn't get better in over 2 weeks.

I second the recommendation for Melafix or Pimafix. These have both worked great for me, but since your fish isn't eating there may not be any more you can do. :(

Man, thats some nasty scarring...is the HITH still an active issue? I do not know that there is a lot more you could possibly do....metronidazole has a secondary affect of increasing appetite in some animals, but further medication may simply finish the fish off, too. Difficult call, but you appear to have done pretty much all you could have.

Back
Top Bottom