I Need Advice For My Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kenzy1121

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there. I'm not very knowledgeable on many parts of keeping fish, I was raised with simple goldfish. I know the basic; detecting signs of sickness, water changes, feedings, and the likes. I have a 10 gallon tank that houses my baby, Snowflake. He's a simple feeder gold fish. He was originally bought by my sister to feed to her piranhas, but I stole him. He is blind, and I believe has cataracts. He has what I believe my sister said was eyepop? His eyes are enlarged and pop from his head. He gets around okay, and has no problem eating. We have a system that when I feed him I splash a bit to let him know. Well his tank mates died recently, a two spot Gurami(I think I spelled it right) and a Betta. I got two new fish a few weeks ago, a calico gold fish and a Oranda. Well things went fine, I used Lifeguard as I always do when introducing new fish. Snowflake seemed to perk up, but then the worse happened. The Oranda wouldn't stop attacking his back fins until they were raw and bleeding. It went on for at least a day before I noticed, and I had no way to separate them at the time so I admit I kind of our the Oranda in a clean pickle jar with a air pump and his plant. I kept him in it for a few days until I got my other smaller tank set up. The calico began picking at his wound so I placed them both in the other tank. Now I'm struggling, because Snowflake isn't acting right. I used the last five day treatment of Lifeguard today, but his wound is healing but he seems depressed now he's alone again? He just hangs out in one spot, either at the top of the water or laying on the bottom. He eats at least, but doesn't seem happy. He's also been getting these white raised spots in his fins and sides, which I believe is Ich but he's been in Lifeguard for a week now so I'm confused as to how he could get it. Maybe the new fish? I'm going to get another Lifeguard kit, but if you have other suggestions I'm all ears. Yes, I know I should have learned and researched when I first got him but that was when I was younger. Ice had him for six years now, and has the last fish that used to belong to my sister before she left. He means the world to me and so I'm finally asking for help because I'm scared something might happen. I don't have a water testing kit, I know I need to get one.

First picture was directly after he got hurt.

Second is after it healed, but when the white spots started appearing on his sides and fins. It's hard to get pictures, as even though he's blind I swear he knows when I want him to stay still.

0616171602a.jpg

0620170428a.jpg

Update: Today was tank cleaning day so I got to better interact with him. His tail seems completely healed, but I do believe it's a bad case of Ich. I can't get any treatments for a few days or so, and I'm terribly worried he might get too sick by then. Any advice on good treatments for Ich and advice on how to keep him comfy until I can get said treatment would be nice. Also, does anyone know how to keep algae growth down? It grows like crazy, and I know some is okay but it gets everywhere and Snowflake can't see to pick and eat at it.

Ok can you test the water levels
Ph, high range ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate
How often do you change the water ?

I don't have a testing kit, I've yet to get one. I know a place that sells them for like 23 dollars so that's on my list.

I change the water weekly, 75% change and also vacuum the nasties when I see fit. I use a chlorine remover, I forget the brand right at the moment.

The only thing I'm worried about is the ammonia because that may cause this and I've seen other have thing like this

I've had this tank for nearly five years now, and this fish for six. He's older, so I am worried too. I have a Aqua Tech 5-15 filter. The thing I'm worried the most about is if he'll make it with Ich for a few days until I have the money for the treatment. I know I'll have to treat my other fish as they have been in contact with him as well.

The issue is that a 10g is too small to stay clean with 1 Goldfish, and then adding other fish makes things worse.

Goldfish poop a lot. If you wait till the water looks dirty, it's too late.

Check out SolidGold's channel on YouTube. She raises quality Goldfish and has a lot of great vids.

For now ? I'd be doing massive water changes daily or at least every other day.

No more tank mates. 6yrs is a long time for him to be in a 10g.

See if you can get a sturdy Rubbermaid bin or a trough. 40g would be good.

A bigger container will stay a lot cleaner. Plus he'll have room to grow.

For now ? Plenty of clean dechlorinated water.

If you are adding meds, make sure to remove carbon out of your filters.

For the future...Comet/Common Goldfish require at least 40g per fish as babies. They grow really fast the first year. Ponds are better than tanks so they can have even more room.

You have done your best to give your fish a good life. If he lives, see if he can have a larger tank. It will be much easier to keep clean. If you want to try a tank mate ? Find another impaired GF if you can offer 60g or larger.

Return the other 2 fish.

Fancy GF like the Oranda need super clean water and at least 20-40g per fish.
Bigger is always better w GF.

There are free or cheap tanks on Craigslist. Feed stores sometimes have troughs on sale.

YouTube has vids on making DIY ponds indoor or outdoor. You can DIY a big filter with a bucket and scrubbies and a pump...vids are online.

Thank you for caring.

Gosh I wish I actually did research when I first got him. For the first year I had him he was in a 40 gallon tank, but when we moved it broke in the process. I think that's why he grew as big as he did as he was a simple feeder fish. We're struggling on money I'm ashamed to admit, and even worse is the thought I had him with a two spot Gourami and a Betta before.

I'll take your advice and do water changes daily. I may be getting a 15 gallon tank for him so he'll have a bit bigger room if he survives. I'll check on Craiglist to see if I can get something even bigger. He's my baby, and it hurts to know I haven't been taking care of him as well as I thought. I'm glad I finally reached out. I've thought of doing a pond, but then decided against it as we have owls who nest next door in an empty lot plus feral cats everywhere. I live in a backwoods town with the population at 40 so it's hard. I was never taught these things growing up, and my family used to have loads of different tanks. I do know that after Snowflake I'm not getting another fish until I have the proper set up.

Hey no worries. I've had money issues myself. That's why I suggested to look at bins or DIY ponds.

Feeder fish are Common or Comet Goldfish usually. I've seen Koi and Shubunkins mixed in, but almost always the first 2. Comets have longer tails.

Commons hit 8-12".

Deeper kiddie pools can be used. Clean plastic garbage cans. Or keep an ear out for a used tank. BUT test it for leaks. There are vids on how to clean and Test old tanks. and how to reseal them.

And yes, ponds can get empty fast once birds find them. And netting won't always keep out raccoons.

Down the road, when you are ready, we can help you pick better fish for a 10g.

This was my 10g with my Betta and his plants.
IMG_0190.jpg

This is my current Betta and his 5.5g tank
IMG_3704.jpg

Oh wow, those tanks are beautiful. As are the Bettas. Are those live plants? I'm good with regular plants, but tank plants in scared I'd mess up and kill. Which is why I stick with silk and plastic lol.

But as for Snowflake I'm not sure he'll make it through the treatment honestly. He's just not acting right as it is. I have hope he will, as that way I can spoil him with a larger tank. The others I'm going to treat before finding them new homes, as I can't return them.

So you can keep a single Betta in a 10g? Do they need warmers?
I don't use one currently, as I keep my room warm and without one my tank is normally around 75°F
which Snowflake seems happy in. Really I just want to keep him comfy until he goes. Afterwards I'll have to take the tank down and do a full clean before setting it back up and letting it run for a bit empty as I always do. That my mom taught me at least, I just know it's better for the fish.

Can you tell me what the eyes look like on the gold fish and tell me witch one is it because I found the diagnosis but i need more info

Oh wow, those tanks are beautiful. As are the Bettas. Are those live plants? I'm good with regular plants, but tank plants in scared I'd mess up and kill. Which is why I stick with silk and plastic lol.

But as for Snowflake I'm not sure he'll make it through the treatment honestly. He's just not acting right as it is. I have hope he will, as that way I can spoil him with a larger tank. The others I'm going to treat before finding them new homes, as I can't return them.

So you can keep a single Betta in a 10g? Do they need warmers?
I don't use one currently, as I keep my room warm and without one my tank is normally around 75°F
which Snowflake seems happy in. Really I just want to keep him comfy until he goes. Afterwards I'll have to take the tank down and do a full clean before setting it back up and letting it run for a bit empty as I always do. That my mom taught me at least, I just know it's better for the fish.
Most people that I've spoken to, and I myself keep a single betta in a 10 gallon tank. They do need heaters and filters both, and I would pick up a heater rated for at least a 20 gallon and baffle the outflow. Temperatures for bettas should be a steady 75-78 degrees, and an in tank thermometer will help. I prefer free standing ones. Bettas are curious fish and while silk plants are fine, live plants are always better. That being said, anubias of all varieties, water wisteria, and anacharis are pretty much bomb proof, and can even survive in plain gravel. Tie the anubias to driftwood, and it's super easy to gravel vac during water changes. But I can't stress enough that bettas need clean water. I do a 50% water change every four days, since they're a messy fish. But a well maintained tank is a beautiful one, just like a happy betta is a beautiful fish.

There's plenty of articles online about betta care, and great advice to be had here. Do your research, make sure your tank is fully cycled, and you should have a happy and healthy fish for years to come.

And since we're posting betta pictures, here's my little prince, Cornelius. He's about five months old now. :)

20170512_184853.jpg

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't know if it's available in your area, I got a free tank for my daughters gerbil on Freecycle.org

Okay cool. I think I know a store near me that carries live plants. Not going to lie I screenshotted the info because bad memory. I have a heater for a 15g but I don't trust it as it hasn't been used in years. Better safe than sorry and get a new one. I may also get a new filter as the one I have now is struggling to do the job. I may wait until after Snowflake to keep a betta tank, so then I can work on getting the tank set up and cycled before getting the actual fish. Also it'll be easier only worrying about the betta.

I am new to this, but many people rise the temperature slowly to treat Ich. You may want to check it out if Snowflake is still around us... good luck!

Back
Top Bottom