I need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JennMann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My pleco is getting fat! He is a regular albino pleco and I don't know if he is bloating or just getting fat. J don't feed him algae pellets or anything he just eats any excess food that falls to the sand or any kind of build up on the glass which I don't have an algae problem at all. He is 7 1/2 inches long and I just want to make sure this is normal and he is healthy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!IMG_1872.jpg IMG_1871.jpgIMG_1870.jpg

Many plecos eat all sorts of stuff.
Most need real wood in the tank so they can rasp on it.
I have read it[the wood] aids in their digestion.

Look into some Hikari Algae wafers or no salt added canned green beans. Only a green bean chunk at a time. You can freeze them flat in a zip bag to store. They like to eat algae and green stuff.

Have you noticed its poop?

How is the water? What are the parameters, Ammonia, Nitrite Nitrate, pH, temp?

Yes, as CB mentioned, wood is important to most species and is good for digestion. Real wood can be obtained from a lfs, big box or locally most of the time.

Look into some Hikari Algae wafers or no salt added canned green beans. Only a green bean chunk at a time. You can freeze them flat in a zip bag to store. They like to eat algae and green stuff.

Have you noticed its poop?

How is the water? What are the parameters, Ammonia, Nitrite Nitrate, pH, temp?

Yes, as CB mentioned, wood is important to most species and is good for digestion. Real wood can be obtained from a lfs, big box or locally most of the time.

I will have to get some wood. Ammonia is 0, pH is 7.0, temperature is 78*F.

Get some wood, you can get a nice size/shape in the reptile section too, like zoo med there will be tannins in the water, it turning brownish yellow, it is good for the fish and if it doesn't bother you too much I would let it do its thing naturally for a few weeks and maybe the Pleco will nom some and get the digestion back on track.

After that if you do not want it to be as much tannins you can remove it and boil it. Change water and repeat until you are tired of it or happy with the results. Make sure to let it sit for a number of hours to cool off all the way.

I clean the drift wood by running it under faucet water, brushing off any dust or anything with my clean hands and then dunk it into a bucket with some Prime water / or dechlor water and let it soak for a few hours to over night.

Ready for the tank.

Last edited:
Get some wood, you can get a nice size/shape in the reptile section too, like zoo med there will be tannins in the water, it turning brownish yellow, it is good for the fish and if it doesn't bother you too much I would let it do its thing naturally for a few weeks and maybe the Pleco will nom some and get the digestion back on track.

After that if you do not want it to be as much tannins you can remove it and boil it. Change water and repeat until you are tired of it or happy with the results. Make sure to let it sit for a number of hours to cool off all the way.

I clean the drift wood by running it under faucet water, brushing off any dust or anything with my clean hands and then dunk it into a bucket with some Prime water / or dechlor water and let it soak for a few hours to over night.

Ready for the tank.

I just gotta great piece today!
IMG_1928.jpgIMG_1928.jpg

Back
Top Bottom