I need help before my guppy dies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilmissmegan1405

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I don't know what's wrong with one of my guppies he's hiding in the back of my tank staying in one place but moving rapidly! I have no idea what's wrong with him it doesn't seem to be happening to any of my other fish. I know my other male was "picking" on him but I'm afraid he's gpnna die! Help Me PLEASE!!!

how long have you had him?
What size tank it is?
What are the other fish in the tank?
What is the temperature of the water?
Do you test your water for ammonia/nitrites?

Tell us everything you know. From what I have seen, once a guppy starts to look and act sick it's time is limited.

I've had him since I started my tank about two months ago. Its a 10 gal tank. I have four female and one other male guppy two neon tetras and a bigger silver tetra but I can't remember what its called. The temp. Is 76 degrees. And the nitrite levels have been high for about a week or two I've tried partial water changes and salt and I'm new at this and don't know what else to do the other fish are acting fine its just the one. :(

keep doing the water changes. The tank probably isn't finished cycling yet. I made that same mistake a couple weeks ago with a small guppy fry tank. I had to change 50% of the water every single day for close to two weeks until the tank finished cycling. I have never heard of salt doing anything for nitrite levels, I just heard it can help prevent some bacterial infections.

My guppies tended to die one by one as well, not all at once. It seems the weaker ones go first and then as the condition persists or worsens, the next weak ones go until the strong ones are left. One fish acting badly is a warning.

This may or may not apply, but I found that I had better luck with only three or four guppies in a ten gallon than say 6 or 8. As soon as I added more than four a bunch died.

Back
Top Bottom