I NEED HELP! Fin and Tail Rot with a Betta!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First, stop the rotting, then good water conditions are the best medicine for growing tails back.

Fin Rot is a bacterial infection. If most of the fin is still in tack I agree that good clean water will do the most good. New growth is very fragile so you'll have to be very good about your water changes. ;)

IF the fin rot is very severe you might have to consider medicating with an antibiotic. (I consider severe to be more then 1/2 the fin) Betta fix may help regrowth but isn't very effective against bacteria.

You need to figure out what is causing the finrot. Water that is too cool is one cause. Bettas in small bowls may be more prone to finrot since the water temperature fluctuates too much without a heater. It is also harder to keep the water clean in a bowl without a filter. You would have to do water changes almost every day in a bowl, and that in itself could cause enough stress to bring on finrot.

I have had success with antibiotic treatments such as Maracyn 1 or 2 from Mardel, Fungus Eliminator from Jungle, or Kanaplex from Seachem.

Back
Top Bottom