I need help for my discus :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomCarter13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 60 gallon aquarium with live plants and driftwood with the temp at 30 degrees Celsius. Also i clean my tank twice a week taking out 50% all together and my parameters are:

Ph: 7.2
Am: 0 ppm
Nitri: 0 ppm
Nitra: 5ppm

Anyway i have 5 discus; 2 diamond blues, 1 leopard snakeskin, 1 pigeon blood, and 1 marlboro red. They are all around 3 inches. The 2 diamond blues are the newest (i have a reason why i only had 3 for awhile but anyway) ever since this there has been a ton of aggression and the 2 blues had been pushed into a corner and wete trapped there. They have finally starter to come out and one of the new blues even came right up to the front and started to eat some frozen blood worms OUT OF MY HAND :D they are all eating and they aren't dark in colour and there are no white stringy poop but so much agression between all of them! But mostly the blue diamonds have had it real rough! I thought i was going to be ok at taking care of discus but so far i've been sooo worried and stressed that i'm doing something wrong? I font want them to die from being traumatised by each other! What am i doing that is sooo wrong? Please help!

You could try adding more features to break up lines of sight for the new comers but I'm just wondering if you are going to be over stocked as they get bigger.

Edit - tank looks nice :)

I am going to get plants in the far right corner of the tank so hopefully that may be able to break it up a bit :) but yeah before i even bought discus i always measured 20 cm along the tank because i looked at other peoples discus and thought im going to need a bigger tank. Also what worrys me is that on youtube peoples 50 gallons look waaaaay bigger than my 60 gallon :/ but i think i will manage well with my discus :) my tank is 45cm width, 100cm length, and i think 60 cm in depth so i think they'll just be fine ;) plus i may/ may not keep them for to long. I may end up giving/selling them after awhile to go back to fancy goldfish :) i just find goldfish a little bit easier than discus whilst at the same time fancy variety are quite beautiful aswell :)

You have another thread going with some regard to this same issue. So as I said in that thread, these "aggression" issues will continue for some time. There is a hierarchy that needs to develop and it will take some time to do so.

5 discus in a 60 gal is perfectly fine however, the other tanks you've seen, (50 and 55 g) look bigger because their overall length is larger and most well state that length is better. A 50 and 55 has a 48" (122 cm) length where your 60 is only 39" (100 cm).

Depending on age and overall size, Discus NEED lots of WC's. As I've pointed out before, there are a few reasons for this. Juvies require multiple daily feedings, young adults a little less, and adults even less. WC's coincide with this simply because that's what helps them grow and mature into large (6-7" +) sized fish. By not following these methods, I'm afraid you fish will remain stunted at around 3-3.5". What will happen then is their organs will grow to a size larger than they can handle and die earlier than their intended life expectancy.

Also, it doesn't matter where they come from. It is my opinion and experience that ALL fish need QT before going into a tank with any others for a plethora of reasons that I won't get into again.

These items that I'm listing are all based on facts learned from experience and failure. And lots of RESEARCH !!! I'm not criticizing you for what you've already done but I have tried giving you plenty of advice and it's yours to do with what you'd like. Should you choose to take it and use it to your advantage, I'll help you any way possible. If you wish to ignore it you're on your own. They are very easy fish to keep. Just a little dedication and devotion and you could have some that look like this. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400254373.473860.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400254473.469730.jpg
A 6" Eruption Leopard and 6" Pigeon Blood.

Yeah i definitely will take your advice. I had no idea about the QT process and i know it sounds stupid because i had 3 months to do research on discus and their requirements. I do have a spare 15 gallon and its a bare bottom but all i need is a new heater because my spare one blew up :/ so the next time i decide to get another discus or not (depends if it will over stock my tank) i will quarantine it but i wont be thinking about it until i know my current discus are up to full health. Also this will give me time to cycle the smaller tank. But will the 15 gallon be fine for a 6 week quarantine proccess? I only buy 3-3.5" discus at the moment if that helps?!
I do clean my tank twice a week with a total out come of 50% each week :)

I do appreciate all your help but i just felt scared and worried for my discus and i made all those other topics to hear what other people thought.

I would appreciate it very much if you could give me some more advise on these discus aswell :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400296839.150732.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400296869.220447.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400296899.011047.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400296922.202544.jpg
These are my fish :) by pigeon blood (i think its a pigeon blood) is the alpha and i also have a leopard discus to! And 2 blue diamonds but i just took a picture of one :)

Back
Top Bottom