I need some advice.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I got my first fish tank last week, I got 4 fish, 3 Orlandos and 1 black moore. I noticed a few days ago that one of my Orlandos was not eating or swimming much....then I noticed it looked like it had White spot, I got the treatment and put it in but I think it was too late as he was floating to the top and on his side...... He was alive then suddenly stopped and died...I have noticed one of my other Orlandos has some White spots but I have the treatment in but the fish seems fine in himself.....I am just worried that the filter might take out all the White spot treatment....... I'm scared that the others may die but they all do look okay.
I could really use some advice right now as I haven't had fish before!
Thanks

if you have a heater in the tank turn it up to about 28 to30 degrees celcius no idea what that is in F. Increase the aeration in your tank this helps if the ich attaches itself to your fishes gills and due to the increased temperature the water will hold less oxygen than colder water and if you wanted to go the whole way you can also add marine salt but you would have to make sure that your species of fish can tolerate salt and also make sure you are dosing the correct amount
If you have carbon in your filter then that will absorb the medicine so if you can take the carbon out that would be ideal it serves no purpose apart from water clarity.
despite the other fish in the tank looking healthy you still need to regard them as infected so treat them all. Ich is relatively common and nothing to stress out about if you keep on top of it

Hi and welcome! First of all, do not turn the heat this high! Heat does work for killing ich but goldies are coldwater fish & can not tolerate high temps the same way tropicals can. Keep the heat @80f.

You will need to treat with aquarium salt for minimum of 2wks. You want a .3% salt solution which is 3grams per liter or 2.5 level teaspoons per gallon of water. Premix the salt in a container of tank water and add gradually over a 48hr period of time. You will need to keep the water super healthy for treatment to work. If you do a water change, add back only the salt you remove- ie, a 50% water change, add back 1/2 of the original dose of salt.

Some more information will help as well. What size is the tank? Is it cycled? What are your exact readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph and what are you using to test (liquid or strips)? How many fish are in the tank? Thanks!

Well my tank is 24 litres and I have a filter and I did have 4 fish but one of them died so now only 3! The fish do seem fine now an I have put the White spit treatment and the spots seem to be going!! Thanks for your help!!

I am glad they getting better but you can expect to have alot more problems. 24litres is only 6 gallons. 3 fancies need a minimum of a 40gallon tank with heavy filtration. They carry a HUGE bioload (produce a ton of waste/ammonia) and need ample amounts of water to prevent stunting. I would suggest changing their water daily with a good water conditioner & temperature matched water until you can upgrade their home. The only fish suitable for a 6g tank is perhaps a single betta. Please ask if you have any questions.

Back
Top Bottom